Ethernet/IP with SLC5/05 and Horner product

quadPLC

Hi guys,

I've been working most of today on getting comms between a SLC 5/05 and a Horner XL4 working.

I have been referencing this manual from Horner (http://heapg.wpengine.netdna-cdn.co...et-All Models/ETN 200-300 Supp/SUP0740-07.pdf, see page 61) and this manual from Rockwell about the specifics of Ethernet/IP (http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/rm/1747-rm001_-en-p.pdf). However, they use very different terminology.

I've tried using an EEM block within Logix and setting the target device parameters to (Service Code: E, Class: 4, Instance: 64, Attribute: 3) and setting up the Horner to set R100-109 as Produced and R110-119 as Consumed registers. However, the two don't seem to communicate whatsoever.

I don't have a very good grasp on what these setup properties even mean so if anyone has any experience in the matter, I would greatly appreciate it!

The most dangerous phrase in industrial networking is "I don't see why not".

My guess is that the Horner module won't work with the SLC-5/05.

From the Horner module user manual, page 61:

In order to exchange I/O data with the Ethernet Module, a Class 1 connection pair must be established.
The connection pair consists of a Class 1 Originator-to-Target connection and a Class 1 Target-to-Originator connection, both of which should be set for point-to-point Transport Type.

Despite the fact that MicroLogix 1100/1400 and SLC-5/05 controllers can send CIP Generic messages to read and write the data in the Assembly Object, they are still using explicit message connections (called Class 3 connections).

If the Horner device was designed for use with ControlLogix/CompactLogix and their EtherNet/IP cyclic I/O connection mechanism (called a Class 1 connection), then it won't work unless that kind of connection is made.

I could certainly be incorrect, but that specific phrase in the user manual, as well as the absence of a separate Connection Timeout parameter or attribute, suggests to me that the Horner devices needs a genuine ControlLogix-family cyclic Class 1 EtherNet/IP I/O connection.

My guess is that the Horner module won't work with the SLC-5/05.

From the Horner module user manual, page 61:

Despite the fact that MicroLogix 1100/1400 and SLC-5/05 controllers can send CIP Generic messages to read and write the data in the Assembly Object, they are still using explicit message connections (called Class 3 connections).

If the Horner device was designed for use with ControlLogix/CompactLogix and their EtherNet/IP cyclic I/O connection mechanism (called a Class 1 connection), then it won't work unless that kind of connection is made.

I could certainly be incorrect, but that specific phrase in the user manual, as well as the absence of a separate Connection Timeout parameter or attribute, suggests to me that the Horner devices needs a genuine ControlLogix-family cyclic Class 1 EtherNet/IP I/O connection.
As Ken already pointed out, the Compact/Control Logix series is easy to set up with a Horner with an Ethernet port using their Ethernet IP driver under "protocols".
The Horner device becomes part of the Compact/control Logix as a remote I/O unit under the hardware tree in RS5000.
I have set up XL6's and such with ease.
The most robust way to exchange data with a Horner unit is Modbus, reliable and proven.
My 2 cents.

As Ken already pointed out, the Compact/Control Logix series is easy to set up with a Horner with an Ethernet port using their Ethernet IP driver under "protocols".
The Horner device becomes part of the Compact/control Logix as a remote I/O unit under the hardware tree in RS5000.
I have set up XL6's and such with ease.
The most robust way to exchange data with a Horner unit is Modbus, reliable and proven.
My 2 cents.

Thanks guys for the tremendous amount of input. Talking to Horner a little more, they confirmed that they do not support explicit messaging with Ethernet/IP šŸ™ƒ

Correct me if I am wrong, but a SLC 5/05 doesn't support modbus tcp on the ethernet port, does it?

We're just trying to map some data between the XL4 (essentially, our UI) and the SLC, but neither party is making it easy for us, are they?

Extra credit: Anyone know of a similarly-small HMI device that supports, say, a dozen DI and can share data with the SLC 5/05 over ethernet?

Seems like the market for displays with IO is pretty small (Horner, Red Lion).

Thanks guys for the tremendous amount of input. Talking to Horner a little more, they confirmed that they do not support explicit messaging with Ethernet/IP šŸ™ƒ

Correct me if I am wrong, but a SLC 5/05 doesn't support modbus tcp on the ethernet port, does it?

We're just trying to map some data between the XL4 (essentially, our UI) and the SLC, but neither party is making it easy for us, are they?
If you are trying to map data and not actual I/O then the Horner units support DF1 on the MJ1 or MJ2 ports.
Fairly easy to set up and been tested and working like a charm.
It can be an option.
You will have to use the serial port on your AB cpu.
From what I know, no Modbus TCP on a 5/05.
Ken or someone else may jump in and correct me if I'm wrong.

could you put a digi one iap between the slc and the horner and have it convert between the protocols?

The lastest SLC5/05 FRN 10 or later support Modbus RTU on the Serial Port Channel 0, but I don't believe it supports Modbus TCP on the Ethernet Port yet.

If you need Modbus TCP, there are third party manufacturers that make Cards. I have had good luck with ProSoft, but there are other companies that make similar products.

Stu....