S7-1500 launched !

Nice.

If they are anything like the S7-1200, they should be a great deal. We use dozens of the S7-1200s and, as long as you understand their limitations, they are an extremely effective, compact, and budget-friendly device.

TIA, with its many quirks, is also a much better environment than SIMATIC.

Looking good :)

They hurried a bit with the 1200 (it was to buggy in the beginning) but I don't think they will do that with 1500..

Looking good :)

They hurried a bit with the 1200 (it was to buggy in the beginning) but I don't think they will do that with 1500..

What was buggy? The part where if you cycled power it would lose all its register values? Or when you would mark data blocks as retentive and they would disappear? :rolleyes:

Yeah, after about a month or two from launch (2 FW revs.) and after SP1 on the TIA package, things were pretty stable.

What was buggy? The part where if you cycled power it would lose all its register values? Or when you would mark data blocks as retentive and they would disappear? :rolleyes:

I liked the feature when you could download one block or all blocks but you still downloaded all blocks.

Or when communication stopped for no reason.

:D

It was fun...

But I think they have a more strict policy with a bigger PLC. Or should I say I hope. :)

Nice:

Communication

animation-s7-1500_kommunikation.jpg

SIMATIC S7-1500 has up to 3 PROFINET ports.

• Two ports with identical IP addresses for field level communication and
  • a third one with its own
    IP address for integration into the company network.

While the features themselves look nice, we'll have to wait until the restrictions are clearer.
The trace functionality is very nice, been waiting for this one for a long time. But would it's resolution be accurate enough?
Same with the integrated Profinet, what are the restrictions on communication?

Well I hope they have some real ones at the event I'm attending next week, so I can see how they look.

Anyone else find the integrated shielding a nice idea but rather poorly executed?

Saw in action today with the real ones. It has some cool new features and will launch with tia portal v12, but it will be some years before this is mainstream.

They sell big on productivity with the drives etc. As long as you stay within the siemens product line its fine. But most of that goes out the door as soon as other products like ifix are being used.

Mpi is history btw. Backplane is profinet now

Can TIA now integrate drives??? We have been sticking to simatic and scout for now as we do lots of motion control but i'd be happy to go down the TIA route once we can do everything in one project