Retrieving ethernet stats from a 1756-ENBT

GP2004

This is by Ken Roach, from an older thread:
The onboard diagnostic web pages are the very best way to diagnose, from the controller's perspective, the number of existing connections and the state of the error counters. This data can also be harvested inside the controller using CIP Generic MSG instructions, so it can be stored or viewed or acted upon even when the Ethernet port is unresponsive.
Can someone elaborate on how to configure an MSG to achieve this? I had a browse through the Logix5000 Controllers General Instructions Reference Manual, but the section on CIP Generic Messages doesn't appear to explain it.

Last edited:
This is by Ken Roach, from an older thread:Can someone elaborate on how to configure an MSG to achieve this? I had a browse through the Logix5000 Controllers General Instructions Reference Manual, but the section on CIP Generic Messages doesn't appear to explain it.

Create a 12 Element DINT Array in the Controller Scope. I called mine ENBT_COUNTERS, but the AB example used MEDIA_COUNTERS. Set up your Message Instruction as shown, and set your Path to the ENBT Card. I don't have a Logix5000 PLC here, so I couldn't test it. I will when I have access to one Online.

If you change the MSG Instruction to Service Type to Custom, and the Service Code to 4C, it is supposed to Reset all the Counters.

As I said, I haven't tested this, but I definitely will when I get a chance.

Stu....

ENBT Counters MSG.jpg

Thanks, will try this at the next opportunity. I'm assuming that figuring out what each of the 12 values returned in ENBT_COUNTERS actually reflect can be achieved by comparing them with those displayed via the ENBT's web page?

Thanks, will try this at the next opportunity. I'm assuming that figuring out what each of the 12 values returned in ENBT_COUNTERS actually reflect can be achieved by comparing them with those displayed via the ENBT's web page?

You should be able to, but a bunch of them might be zero. Hopefully, they come in the same order as displayed.

Stu....