any scada recommendations?

gbeaker

I've got a small project where I'd like to monitor temperatures on a MicroLogix1100 from a remote location over the internet. I've used Ignition in the past but it's not cost effective in this situation. What is everything out there using for this type of application?

Explain in a little more detail exactly what you mean by "monitor" and "over the Internet" ?

This could mean something as traditional as a data logging and visualization system with a fixed-location server PC, or something as light weight as an embedded webserver and mobile phones.

You can try the ***** routers with web SCADA capability.

You can access the router over internet and router can be on PTSN/ADSL/3G network. Routers can read PLC tags and animate them on simple web scada screens.

Last edited:
Thanks for the tips so far everyone, you've posted some great ideas.

Just to clarify I would like to be able to go to a website from home and see the temperatures of my tanks. Read/write access would be even better so I could adjust values if needed. AdvancedHMI and PeakHMI both looks like they would work but how do I access them remotely. I'm sure I could use TeamViewer or Remote Desktop but I would prefer a web based interface to keep it simple.

I've used Ignition in the past and it is as simple as typing the servers address in your location bar and launching the Java based client, but it comes with a $10,000 price tag.

Explain in a little more detail exactly what you mean by "monitor" and "over the Internet" ?

This could mean something as traditional as a data logging and visualization system with a fixed-location server PC, or something as light weight as an embedded webserver and mobile phones.

The webserver would work fine for me but unfortunately the client would like fancy graphics and a GUI for changing values.

Hello,

>...PeakHMI ... how do I access them remotely.

Just type the IP address in the address bar of any browser.

You mentioned Ignition - what about using the free version (OPC-UA to the MicroLogix and read/write live values via your web browser and the "quick client")? What you are notably missing is the capability to deal with historical data and do alerting. Also, there are versions in between free and the full $10k "Works Package" (unlimited license for each package) that you mentioned that might cover what you want.

Thanks for the tips so far everyone, you've posted some great ideas.

Just to clarify I would like to be able to go to a website from home and see the temperatures of my tanks. Read/write access would be even better so I could adjust values if needed. AdvancedHMI and PeakHMI both looks like they would work but how do I access them remotely. I'm sure I could use TeamViewer or Remote Desktop but I would prefer a web based interface to keep it simple.

I've used Ignition in the past and it is as simple as typing the servers address in your location bar and launching the Java based client, but it comes with a $10,000 price tag.

Oops - just noticed the fancy graphics requirement. The "Vision Module - Limited" would cover all that you've described so far. You might contact an account rep at IA to see if you could land the project within your budget.

The webserver would work fine for me but unfortunately the client would like fancy graphics and a GUI for changing values.

Last edited: