ideas how to do project

best49erfan

I would like to automate (cheaply) lubing the chain on my motorcycle. this would require some sort of 12VDC controller. I all ready have found solenoid and other parts, but what would you suggest as a controller?

Maybe a Red Lion Cub5 with a sensor to count sprocket (wheel) rotations and a relay output option card. You may need an interposing relay also depending on the current draw of your solenoid.

Just a thought, but if something sticks or doesn't work properly excess lube may have bad consequences!

With chains, too much lube is almost always less of a problem than too little lube. If the proper lubricant is used about the only consequences of too much is a mess to clean up. IMHO :)

This is typically true of motorcycles and industrial machinery.

Hear are a couple solutions for you.

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.co...px?SiteID=SLI|Cable Lubricator&WT.MC_ID=10010

Or you can go PLC controlled.
Part Number: IC200NDD010

Description: 10 point PLC, (6) 12VDC In, (4) 12VDC Out, 12VDC Power Supply
195.00 And you would need the software to Program But you might be able to find another Manfacture with the same 12vdc power supply. You said you had the selenoid. You just need to find a place to mount it and keep it Dry Fashion up a bracket and seems to me it could be quite an expensive Chain oiler.

With chains, too much lube is almost always less of a problem than too little lube. If the proper lubricant is used about the only consequences of too much is a mess to clean up. IMHO :)

This is typically true of motorcycles and industrial machinery.

I agree, but I wasn't thinking of too much oil on the chain, ;however, where the excess oil goes (ie...tires)

I had a friend who tried to make a drip oiler who had this problem, until he got the flow correct.

You will definitely want a shutoff valve in there.

Two requirements for my next bike is no chain, and likely no spoked wheels...

Two requirements for my next bike is no chain, and likely no spoked wheels...

Best thing I ever did was Convert my 79 Superglide over to Belt drive. I did the inner primary also not cheep but well worth it.