AB Power up handler routine

dginbuffalo

Hello. i have an AB Compactlogix with 2 racks of remote ethernet I/O at a station that suffers from occasional power outages. when the power comes back up, the PLC faults occurs because at least one required connection is not established before going to Run mode. This is a 3/23 type fault code.Can i just put some kind of delay timer in the power up routine and then go run mode? I know one of the remote racks just isn't ready normally annd as soon as i clear the fault, it's good to go again. unfortunately-it's an unmanned site in another state :(

Find out which module is the culprit and then, within the RSL5K Online application file, open up the respective module's configuration applet and under the Connection tab un-check the "Major Fault On Controller If Connection Fails While in Run Mode".

Well...You really don't want to fault a CPU if all of a sudden any I/O and/or connections are missing...I very seldom check the "Major Fault On Controller If...." option.
Our approach to this kind of situations is based on programming logic which is monitoring the status of the critical modules and, in case of communications failure, trigger some sort of "emergency shut-down" routine.
Chapter 1 Pg.14-15 of http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/pm/1756-pm015_-en-p.pdf
will give you an ideea of how to monitor any connection's status.

the slc500 plc's has a fault override at power up bit in the ststus word that you can set for speciality modules like etherner comms modules.

you might look into the logix family for something similar.

regards,
james

Do i have to monitor the status of all modules in the remote rack also? i'm wondering if i monitor just the remote ethernet adapter, if that would show a fault when one of it's modules fault? regardless- if i uncheck "major fault" i guess i will have to have a fault handling routine to reset try to reset the faults after power is restored to the station.