Control logix Remote IO's communication to controller

srv

I have to add some analog and digital IO modules to an existing project as the part of a modification.Client is asking for a remote IO rack and that should communicate with the existing PLC with fibre optic communication.Can I simply install a control logix chasis with IO modules,1756-ENBT and an ethernet switch having fibre optic connectivity on it.

Yes, the fiber optic works the same way as a cat5 cable. Fiber Optic allows you to run at a much greater distance than conventional cat cables. Is your remote devices more than 300 feet?

Yes,Main controller is 300M away from the remote IO rack.Which ethernet module has to be used to get ethernet redundant communicatation from remote IO rack to the ethernet switch.Do i need to add any plc code in the main controller to get communication through optical fibre.( As i am using ethernet to fibre optic converter)

Yes,Main controller is 300M away from the remote IO rack.Which ethernet module has to be used to get ethernet redundant communicatation from remote IO rack to the ethernet switch.Do i need to add any plc code in the main controller to get communication through optical fibre.( As i am using ethernet to fibre optic converter)

Nope...a converter does not need any CPU commands to "move" data onto different media...it does its job without any "supervision"...

No code needed, but you will have to add the local ENBT (if it doesn't already exist), the remote ENBT, and the remote I/O modules into the I/O Configuration "tree". You will not need to add any of the physical ethernet media (switches, fibres, etc.)

When you add the remote I/O modules, the tags that interact with them will appear automatically in the Controller Tags collection.

If you are pushed to, or have to, you can do all of this online, while the processor is running whatever it is running. When creating new modules in the configuration, you will get a warning that doing so may interfere with normal system comms... this is only important if you have processes running that require high-speed backplane comms (eg. motion control). In most cases, without any high-speed stuff going on, adding new modules causes no problems. If not pushed or constrained, at least wait until the processes are dormant. If you must add the modules offline, then you will have to download the whole project, so your processes would need to be stopped anyway.

Thanks DABA.Can I use 1756-EN2TR to get ethernet redundancy with IO rack and ethernet switch.Is there any difference between 1756-ENBT and EN2TR other than its dual ethernet port and connection limitations.