USB Connection to Siemens TP270

Borte

Hello!

I wonder if any of you guys in here have been successfully in connection (transfering) a program over USB to this unit?

I followed the step in the documentation for this without being succsessfull, i tried a brand new USB host to host cable and the driver from the Protool Pro 6.0 SP2 cd without any luck. It is not responding over mpi/profibus either (for download that is, communication is working fine to the plc). I have changed all settings on the tp itself to correspond with usb / mpi but no luck. :(

Any ideas?

Regards
Borte

Have also tried a USB link cable, no success.
I think that the USB port is best for connecting a mouse. At least that works well.

For MPI download, have you enabled the port in the control panel ?

Yes I have enabled it in the control panel, but nothing seems to work.
There must be someway to do this, it worked fine on the old TP27 andjust about all the other old panels from Siemens.

I searched the Siemens A&D and found a article called "Transferring the configuration to a SIMATIC HMI Windows CE Panel via USB", I used this article as a guide but it still dos'nt work.

It seems strange that Siemens will give you less options for downloading on the new panels compared to the old ones.

Borte said:
It is not responding over mpi/profibus either (for download that is, communication is working fine to the plc).

Borte

I have been using these screens, but only on MPI download not USB, so I can't help you there.

You have not stated the problem you are having with the MPI download so have a look at this thread Click Here This is where I had problems and Jesper helped me out.

Paul

Hei Borte,

how far do you get ?
Does the download start but doesnt finish or how ?

Can you "see" the TP270 on the MPI network ? Use the "available nodes" in STEP7 for example. Be sure to match the Baudrates.

Try to initiate the download from the TP270 before starting the download from Protool. I have found that this is better in most cases.

Try to download a small project, with just a few screens and tags.

Hello!

I'm able to see the OP on the network everything works fine, except from the fact that I can't download over USB or MPI.

I've tried requesting from the TP and everything but nothing seems to help regarding this, only thing that works fine is serial download (which is ok, but download over MPI is much more convinient since I'm usually connected over MPI or profibus to the PLC).

And the project that I tried was only 1 page so that should'nt be the problem.

I'm just out of options on this one.

A straw to grasp at:

Have you set up the download preferrences . It is not enough to set the controller settings.

I do what you want to do:
Download to the OP/TP and program the S7 at the same time via MPI.

You could ZIP and ATTACH your Protool project and I could take a look at it.

The new USB cable requires power to work, therefore you must plug it into the CPU side of you MPI or DP network. Check your settings under the "DownLoad" "Preferences" tab and make sure you have them set for MPI or Dp, depending on the network. I am assuming you selected USB under the cable preferences in PG/PC settings. Are you communicating at the same baud rate? Are there 2 devices on the network with the same address? When you power up the unit, click on settings and make sure the check box is ON for MPI. If all else fails, use a null modem cable and set it to download serially.

Hello again!

All settings seems to be correct, can't find any settings anywhere that should give a problem.

I'm able to see the panel over the mpi link, it is just the protool software that dos'nt see the panel, the same thing is happening over USB. It just goes to timeout for the download.

Over to the USB side again:
Could it be my USB cable that are not correct? Does it have to be a certain type? I'm using a monstercable host to host USB cable.
I tried it between to computers (win 2000) but it keeps asking me for a driver (I tried the driver from the protool cd but that did'nt help). Any ideeas about witch driver to use?

Regards
Borte

Borte,

is it you who got this one into Siemens FAQ page ?
If not, then its a funny coincidence because maybe this answers your question:

If you are using the serial PC/MPI adapter, then you have to put the MPI plug into an MPI port on a CPU, not the OP panel.
The reason is that there is no power supply in the MPI port on an OP panel, and the adapter draws power off the MPI plug.

Its just like RRobins wrote (for the USB/MPI adapter), only the same applies to the serial adapter.

Hello Jesper!

No I wasn't aware of this issue.

This is not the cause for my problems though, since I plugged into the cpu when I tried to download.

But it sure is nice to know that you have to plug into the cpu to feed the adapter.
Does this also apply to the pcmcia card CP5512 and CP5511?

Regards
Borte

I have been using the USB connection. You need a generic USB computer to computer transfer cable typically used for networking 2 computers over USB. Don't load the drivers that come with the cable they will make it inoperative for the HMI download, I beleive you will find the driver on the protool CD for the cable. Set the HMI for USB download then restart the HMI. Set your download preferences in protool to USB and then it should work.