Powerflex 525 USB connection

phuz

I'm trying to configure a bunch of VFD HIMs via the USB connection on the 525s. Windows will only show it under "Other Devices" as a USB MASS STORAGE with a yellow caution symbol and will not mount it as a drive. Any ideas? I have no issues when using other devices with USB (L73, EN2T, etc.).

I don't they are designed to mount as a drive. If you go to My Computer, you should see it appear as a USB drive. There should be a utility that allows you to upload and download parameters as well as flash the drive to a new firmware. You can modify the parameter file in CCW.

Win 7 Ultimate 64
Tried both 2.0 and 3.0 ports

Also just did a fresh upgrade from RSLinx 3.74 to 3.80. No luck. Keeps showing "No driver found"

When I connect to one I don't see it at all in RsLinx. In Device Manager, mine shows up as a Portable Device and a drive letter and I can see it in My Computer just like a flash drive. I'm also on Win7 64 and using USB 2.0. You might try a different computer or maybe a VM.

And that's what it should do. It works on other computers. Trying to figure out what my specific issue is on this computer.

That's all I know. We use these drives quite a bit but I've never had an issue seeing the drive over USB. Maybe someone else can help you.

I had same issue two weeks ago. I had 5 new PF525 drives. 1 of them showed up on my PC as USB MASS STORAGE with a yellow caution symbol. I called Rockwell support and told me to try a firmware upgrade. It failed.
Then they had me to return the drive for replacement. The other 4 were fine.

I'm trying to configure a bunch of VFD HIMs via the USB connection on the 525s. Windows will only show it under "Other Devices" as a USB MASS STORAGE with a yellow caution symbol and will not mount it as a drive. Any ideas? I have no issues when using other devices with USB (L73, EN2T, etc.).

I just did five firmware upgrades from version 4.xx to 5.xx, and it went fine.
Of course, when I clicked on the utility that show up on the HIM, I had to Run As Administrator, for it to do the actual firmware update...but that was documented in a TECHNOTE, so it was relatively painless.

Did it with two separate VM images...both Windows 7.

Yes, and I cannot see it as a device since Windows will not load a driver for it.
That's the simple issue I am having.
I have a bunch of configurations ready (exported) from CCW.

Fired up an XP VM, and it loaded the drive right away, but on the host (Win 7 64), it can't find a driver. I just don't get it.

did you ever get this figured out? im currently having an issue with connecting to a drive on my laptop, win 7 64 bit. but have no issue with it showing up under Device Manager/Portable Devices. also when i plug it into a different desktop here at work with win 7 64 bit it has no issue connecting to it.