PowerFlex 525 USB Config / Windows 10

phuz

Is the firmware in the PowerFlex 525 not compatible with Windows 10?
I like to configure these ahead of time so I am not fumbling on the job site, but I cannot get these to show up as a drive in Windows 10.
This was never a problem on my old Windows 7 laptop.

Last edited:
Haven't tried to use it, but the online release notes for the latest 525 firmware says the USB application is not supported for Windows 10.

I also haven't had any luck getting it to work on Windows 10. I assume the solution would be to set up a Windows 7 VM on your Windows 10 machine.

Ugh, thanks for that. I didn't see the release notes on it, but that clears that up.

Guess I'm going back to the old way of BOOTP and download via ethernet.

So why cant you use CCW or startup from the IO config tree in your plc program?

I hardly ever used that USB 525 app past when i had 525s on devicenet.

Maybe ditch that usb app. If your drives are on ethernet, then updating firmware should go pretty fast thru windows control flash program.

So why cant you use CCW or startup from the IO config tree in your plc program?

I hardly ever used that USB 525 app past when i had 525s on devicenet.

Maybe ditch that usb app. If your drives are on ethernet, then updating firmware should go pretty fast thru windows control flash program.

I absolutely can, but when I'm working a job that has a large number of drives, it's much more advantageous to program all the faceplates in my office with a USB cable than on the plant floor.

I absolutely can, but when I'm working a job that has a large number of drives, it's much more advantageous to program all the faceplates in my office with a USB cable than on the plant floor.
Even more advantageous (at least in my experience) is letting the PLC do it for you.

Just configure all the parameters in Logix and turn on ADC. Power up your drives one by one with the BOOTP utility running, assigning each one it's IP address before turning on the next, and by the time you've finished setting the IP address on the last drive, the PLC will have finished programming the rest.

Even more advantageous (at least in my experience) is letting the PLC do it for you.

Just configure all the parameters in Logix and turn on ADC. Power up your drives one by one with the BOOTP utility running, assigning each one it's IP address before turning on the next, and by the time you've finished setting the IP address on the last drive, the PLC will have finished programming the rest.

Not a terrible idea, either.

We had the same issue for replacing PFlex 4 with PFlex 525 on older drives controlled with discrete I/O.
If you check knowledge base 576292 the actual software can be downloaded and installed on Win10 and used from desktop etc
We use it at our facility