PLC_2 to ControlLogix Program

trsptfire

I'm trying to clean up a program that was a conversion from PLC2 to PLC5 to ControlLogix, I've come across some interesting rungs that I believe are redundant. They have the Always On Bit being latched in seven different rungs in a 1800 rung program. Also there is a JSR to a subroutine(100 rungs)which is used for added estops in 6 different areas surely the scan rate is fast enough that this isn't necessary. Just thought I'd get the opinion of the forum maybe I'm missing something.:unsure: Going to separate the routine into smaller routines(Alarms, Main, Dips, Drops), maybe making easier to find the rungs for troubleshooting.

Probably the anomolies are the result of using conversion programs for each software upgrade. The original PLC2 program probably had to use subroutines to work around the memory sizes for certain functions such as timers and counters. By using subroutines, the same timer and counter numbers could be reused in the PLC2. Always-On bits were often used for troubleshooting and finding on which rung a program was halting by putting in a temporary Unlatch instruction at a certain spot. Many of the old PLC2 programs were converted without regard to reducing the number of rungs as PLC memory storage became more plentiful. Be warned though that a program may be doing more than you think, so test carefully before getting rid of a routine.