RSLogix5000 Rung Comments Length Limit

BAJ1

Hello,

Something in my system changed. I previously was able to enter as long of a rung comment as I cared to type. Suddenly now I'm limited. A second programmer on our project (my co-worker) has no problems adding to the same comments I cannot. A third worker on our project has the same problem as me (and works for a different company). I'm not quite sure how it might have changed, it was working a month ago.

Does anybody know if this is a setting somewhere? I didn't see anything under tools-options-ladder editor. Maybe a registry setting?

Thanks,
-Brad

The rung comment limit that I'm aware of is 2000 characters.

What's the limit you are encountering ? What version of RSLogix 5000 are you using, on what Windows OS ?

I found # of comment lines in the registry here:

HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-21-1757981266-1004336348-725345543-1003\Software\Rockwell Software\RSLogix 5000\LadderOptions\RungLines

Set to 64, we don't have anywhere near that many.

Thx,
-Brad

All three of us are using RSLogix5000 v20.01 on Windows XP SP3. This hasn't changed in the last month though, I was creating longer comments with this exact same set up.

My current char limit is now 512, including <CR>s, etc.

I can't be sure, but I've put some huge comments in before, seems like they would have been > 2000.

FYI, we entered over 10,000 characters on the system that works (doesn't have the limit problem) before we got tired of copy-paste.

I had the same issue about a month back. All I had to do was close the project, close Logix and re-open everything again and I was good to go.

Keith

FYI, the issue self-resolved. As to why/how, your guess is as good as mine. I had even tried rebooting the OS. First my colleague's system "released" the char limit, about a week later mine did too. Oh well, it's not the first weird thing I've seen software do.

I found # of comment lines in the registry here:

HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-21-1757981266-1004336348-725345543-1003\Software\Rockwell Software\RSLogix 5000\LadderOptions\RungLines

Set to 64, we don't have anywhere near that many.

Thx,
-Brad

FYI, that registry entry is the value that is entered in "Tools->Options->Ladder Editor->Display->Maximum Lines"

It is the number of lines that are displayed, not the number of lines allowed. And it's a HEX value, 0x00000064 is 100 decimal.

Did you try editing a rung comment that you know had more than this number of lines? The comment editor shows it all, even when this display option is set lower.

A "RUNG" comment does not tie to the output. It is tied to the rung. Thus the name. Specifically it is tied to a "rung identifier" which is not shown to us in the software and is unique for each and every rung. This ensures the comments find the correct rung even if the rung's location or content has been modified.

This is different than in RSLogix 5/500 where a rung comment was tied to the last output on the rung or to the rung number. Both methods had some pretty big drawbacks.

If you want a comment that follows the tag everywhere it is used, then you want the Tag Description. You can see this column in the Controller or Program Tags window. You can also right-click on a tag in the logic and select Edit Main Operand Description. Be aware though that if an instruction uses more than one tag (like math or compare instructions), then you are only editing the description for the "main" tag for that instruction.

OG

I have 4 separate operations in my program. Instead of having 4 JSRs I just want to be able to separate where one stops and another starts using RUNG COMMENTS. So if I put a run comment in it will stay with the rung even if logic is added above that rung ? And I am new to this so can you tell me how to put a rung comment in ?

the most common method is to add an NOP (No Operation) instruction on an otherwise blank rung - and then Right-Click on the rung's number ... then select Edit Rung Comment from the popup menu ...

the NOP rung doesn't really DO anything (No Operation) - but at least it gives you something to tie the "separation/boundary/section" comment to ...

Last edited:
Go to "Workstation Options" by right clicking the botton of a routine where no logic exists and select options. Then you can set the maximum number of rungs in the Ladder Editor/Display/Rung Display. I believe the default is 100 with a maximum of 1000 lines per rung.