1784-PKTX issue w. Win 7 and unslocited messages.

JesperMP

Lifetime Supporting Member + Moderator
Hi there.

I have uncovered a problem with 1784-PKTX on a Windows 7 PC, and wonder if others have encountered the issue, and/or has found solutions and/or workarounds.

The setup:
A PLC5-40 CPU sends messages to a PC with a PKTX card via DH+.
The PLC5 program expects the DN (done) bit to be set before it initiates another message.
On the PC, RSLinx acts as OPC server for the end-user program.
The PC has Windows 7 32-bit.
Approximately every 5 seconds a message must be sent.

The problem:
The DN bit is not set. It seems that there is a timeout in the MSG block so that the DN bit is set after waiting for 1 minute or so. So the PLC only sends a new MSG every minute in stead of every 5 seconds.
Notice that I am not responsible for the PLC program, so this is just as it has been described to me.

The problem is with the PKTX card or the driver for card running under Windows 7 32-bit.
Using a 1784-U2DHP in stead of the PKTX, the DN bit is set OK and everything runs fine.
Using the PKTX card on the same type of PC with Windows XP, the DN bit is set OK and everything runs fine.
Polled data by the OPC client works fine.
Updating RSLinx to the very latest version (dont remember the version number but it is the latest) does not help.
Replicating the setup on exactly the same type of PC and PLC5 CPU yields exactly the same result.

We could install XP in stead of Windows 7, and be done with the problem. But, we have hundreds of machines at customers to support. Every now and then they order a replacement PC. And installing XP in stead of Windows 7 gives us other problems with the OPC client software (not now, but in the future for sure yes). Any solution that require changes to the PLC5 code is also out of the question.

RA is investigating the problem at the moment, but the first response was that the PKTX card is old and we can expect such problems on new PCs. I can understand that, but we still have the problem. Our machines last for many years and we pride us of being able to support them for decades.

We seriously consider to hook up an U2DHP as a permanent fix.
It seems that the USB adapter is more future-proof than the PCI adapter.
But with the 8-pin mini-DIN plug how can we connect it to the usual blue hose ?
Has anyone made an 8-pin mini-DIN to 3-pin Phoenix plug adapter and had success with it ?
Any other issues or considerations ?

We seriously consider to hook up an U2DHP as a permanent fix.
It seems that the USB adapter is more future-proof than the PCI adapter.
But with the 8-pin mini-DIN plug how can we connect it to the usual blue hose ?
Has anyone made an 8-pin mini-DIN to 3-pin Phoenix plug adapter and had success with it ?
Any other issues or considerations ?

I did the same for a customer running a RSView 32 program and they had to update to W7 with only USB... I also made them a adapter to go from the round mini to the Phoenix connector but buy the time they were ready to install it they lost the adapter, so the fix... just cut off the mini din8 end of the U2DHP there are only three wires inside and I think they were blue, clear and shield so it was easy to wire up

I have sold a lot of these, this is still a old picture they are now molded ends http://www.ebay.com/itm/280581077289

I have thought about and will make a round mini to Phoenix but you may just want to cut off the end and hard wire it to save the time.

So here is what I found, the 1784-U2DHP end can be removed (not easy)

3 wires inside blue, clear and shield, you can just land them on a 3 pin Phoenix connector, this will work with the PLC5 and 5/04's

I have made this kit that I am now selling (trying to) that will convert the Mini DIN 8 to a DB9 male and also a cable that will convert the mini to a 3 pin Phoenix connector http://www.ebay.com/itm/370750170920

If anyone needs the pin out to make them yourself see Mickey's post here http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showpost.php?p=354793&postcount=6

I also talk to the guy's with the 1784-U2DHP hardwired and its running good, they did need to change the PC from auto updating and sleeping, the sleep would drop out the USB ports and when awaken RSLinx would be in a configuration error

Still undecided.

I just got a price for the AN-X-AB-DHRIO. 11600 DKK ~ 2100 USD.
I guess that is less than the U2DHP which is 2600 USD list price, but on the other hand we get a significant discount on AB/Rockwell stuff. So it is not the price that is the decisive factor (both are maddeningly expensive !).
And I have not yet heard if messaging via the AN-X-AB-DHRIO is even possible.

Still considering what to do at the particular customer. Waiting for AB/Rockwell to come back on the PKTX / Win 7 issue.

If we go for the U2DHP, we will not cut the cable but try to make an adapter from the 8-pin mini-DIN to a Phoenix plug.

More than a month later, and RA has not returned with a solution.

I wonder if there are others out there with the same problem. It cant just be my company that uses RSLinx and PKTX in connection with unsolicited messages.