Siemens Programming Software

Steve Etter

Lifetime Supporting Member + Moderator
I feel mildly ashamed asking this, but, having the slowest possible internet speed (dial-up is even faster than ours), I had to give up trying to find this on Siemens website.

I have a small machine with a Siemens 313-5BG04-0AB0 processor and I now need to get the programming software to go online with it. Can somebody please tell me what it is I need?

Thanks. Steve.

All you have need are:
1-Simatic Step 7 Manager
2-Plc software of your 313-5BG04-0AB0
3-Siemens Usb to MPI converter .

Do you just need to check something for a short period ?
Then consider the 50 hour rental license for STEP7 (6ES7810-4CC10-0YA6). I think it costs around 500 USD.
The 50 hours do not time out in one single 50 hour period. The 50 hours are real time used with the software.

To go online consider the PC adapter USB (6ES7972-0CB20-0XA0). Also around 500 USD.
Maybe one of the 3rd part ethernet-to-MPI/DP will be even better. Try Deltalogic.

Thanks guys for the info. I already have an MPI cable (it was here when I hired in) so that and my trusty USB to COM port adaptor should get me physically connected.

It says in the link that Step 7 Lite is a "NO" for configuration, so it looks like I need to contact my Seimens Rep (whomever that might be) to see what they suggest. I'm not it a tight money position in this job, so I'm gonna go for a purchase rather than a trial version.

Assuming the system is not locked-out by the vendor (which I'm guessing it is) I should be good to go once I have my software. It it is locked-out, I can probably get the password since we have been doing a fair amount of business with these guys and its already looking like they didn't supply exactly what they promised. I'm hoping some gentle negotiations will get me what I need.

That brings up another question; does Siemens allow you to view a password protected program if you don't have the password or are your completely blinded?

Thanks again.
Steve

I am not sure that a USB-to-serial converter will work with the serial PC adapter.

You can use STEP7 LITE, if the CPU is in the hardware catalog. I think Siemens has stopped support for the LITE, so maybe yes, maybe no go. You can try to use a previous CPU in the HW catalog, but no guarantee that it will work.

Regarding password protected programs, then in principle Siemens do not allow unauthorised access. There are workarounds, but I wont divulge them.
But if the original vendor doesnt freely grant you access, and give you the program with comments and symbols and all, I think you should stay away.

Last edited:
Would it not be cheaper and easier for him to just hire a programmer with their own equipment to come out for 2 to 3 hours?
To steve: Are you looking to create your own programs or do you need one modified as a once off?

Sorry about the mix up..it actually a 14 days trial version...with Limited access..
It will do the job of establishing communication for you..you can download on www.4shared.com.
Let me know if you need any more help

I guess you are right.

Just like with all others it depends on the adapter, some will and some will not, the bad part if you are using the 7 day trial you can burn up your 7 days waiting for an adapter that does work

Steve, if it is just a one time use let me know... I sell USB/MPI cables for about 90USD (also a cheaper one) and I have extras that I can loan for a week at (no charge)

http://www.ind-concepts.com/Siemens_PLC_Programming_Cables.htm

Down the road in Johnson City are the experts. The number is 18003337421
Your distributor is Wesco, I think in Johnson city too
Call them for a quote