.mer and .apa Panel View

showshocka

Even though I believe that both are associated with a PV 1500 project. What is the difference between .mer files and .apa files? From what I see, is that the .mer is where the edits and tags are created and the .apa is where the arrangement of the actual display is composed, maybe.

.apa is the studio file
.mer is the runtime file, this is compiled from the .apa when you click on Create Runtime

Thank you. I'm trying to find out, why on the 1500 pv screen I don't see a display of numbers from touching the up or down adjustment buttons. I see the actual percent display, but not as I adjust them display. The 4 to 20ma signal controls the opening and closing the valve that it control's, but I can not see the 0 to 100 percent display numbers as I adjust them. Where do I start?

The numbers may be reporting the current valve position (which may be delayed a little due to the finite reaction time of the mechanical system) rather than the desired position which you are directly changing with the buttons.

Open Project in Studio and add Numeric display for Values. As, Bernie stated the values you are seeing now is the actual postion of valve opening. If you want to see what you are adding/subtracting from the valve position then you need a new numeric display for those tags. The up/down buttons are +jog and -jog with some value for each press. You need to find that tag and display it. To get the result you desire. Also, if you right click in studio on open area of screen and select display settings you will find the update rate of that screen. Could be 1, .5, .25, .1 seconds or more. This will determine how fast you see you numbers change after button press.

Last edited:
It's that first, basic step that I think needs to be addressed: "Open the project in FactoryTalk View Studio".

The *.APA file is an Archive file, but you don't just "open it up". Instead, you use the Application Manager utility to "Restore" it so that it's registered with FactoryTalk View Studio and its various files are placed in the proper folders.

Once you've Restored the application, it will appear in the available applications list when you open FactoryTalk View Studio, and you'll be able to examine the addressing of those button and display objects.

I can the actual on the process, it's that as I press the up and down buttons I can see the 4 to 20 signal in the PLC project and the valve moving. I can't see the percent of opening and closing display.

100_3731a.jpg

Here is the tag info.... Ok, to be more clear, what is not happening is when I select, manual and adjust the up or down arrows the percent display stays at zero. When the arrows are pressed, the PLC project value and the real world changes also. Look at the hot side percent open. That side shows the scale from 0 to 100 as the manual is adjusted.

Last edited:
The Hot is in Auto and the Cold is in Manual. If you put the Hot in Manual does it go to Zero?
From what you are saying the up/down buttons will adjust the Actual Value anytime but only effects the valve if the system is in manual.
If you have the visibility property set on up/down buttons and the ACTUAL Numeric Display to only be Visible if system is in manual.
Then set the visibility of % Open Numeric Display to only show in Auto.
That might eliminate some confusion.

Last edited:
The Hot is in Auto and the Cold is in Manual. If you put the Hot in Manual does it go to Zero?
No.
Once the hotside is put in manual the percent stays the same until I start adjusting it, up or down to what ever percent I want. When I put it back in auto the percent number stays where I left it. The cold display % says zero at all times. When either side is in Auto they are not to be adjusted with the arrows, only when either one is in Manual then the arrow buttons will then be able to adjust the %. The actual will slowly follow acording to where the % was adjusted.

Last edited: