5000 version 20

Jacob H

i have a project that requires ver. 20 but as of right now i only have ver.16. Can i start the project in 16 and when i get the upgrade convert it over to ver. 20

I would say yes you can start it in V16 and then convert to V20. I haven't done that conversion but for simple ladder logic and prob FB you should be ok. If I'm wrong someone will be along to correct me and we will both learn.

HTH
Bob O

Converting the Logix5000 Program to a newer Version is no problem. However, keep in mind that you will not have any of the newer features available in V20, you will be limited to whatever features V16 has.

Stu....

Certain instructions operate differently, and some of the elements of a motion axis tag are accessed differently (direct read/write vs GSV/SSV). When you change the firmware revision of the controller in the project, the compiler will point out any logic errors caused by the conversion.
Caveat emptor, if you are using an L6x series cpu, many instructions take MUCH longer to execute in v20 vs v16. YMMV, but this can cause some odd machine behavior to appear in a previously "healthy" system.