Logix 5572 log-on

showshocka

We just got a newly installed Logix 5572 and when I went to log on I noticed that it does not have the usual 232 serial port for DH, but a USB. WE do have the USB connection that it offers but when I connect it to my Laptops USB port I can't find it anywhere in the RSLinx drives config. Is it suppose to be the same as an RS232 connection? I tried looking this up before I came here with this issue. No luck. Usually we will just log on to the production lines using Ethernet addresses 20.20.20. XXX, for what ever the line number is such as; 20.20.20.001 for line 1, 002 for line 2 etc. The laptop computer being address is 20.20.20.100. When I tried to log-on to the Logix 5572 and go the Ethernet route I noticed the address is something like 192.168.16.2, which is similar to an internet address. I do know that the contractor who installed this upgrade is remotely online with the PLC. What ways can I connect to it locally.

100_3761.jpg 100_3766.jpg

The new generation Logix class CPUs provide an USB port which, when used in conjunction with RSLinx Classic Lite minimum Rev.2.59.02 (that's what I am currently running)will automatically connect to the PC by self-adding of a Virtual Backplane driver without the user input.
What revision RSLinx are you running? Verify if you have the option of adding a Virtual Backplane(SoftLogix58xx, USB)type driver; if not, update RSLinx Classic Lite; the free download is available at
http://compatibility.rockwellautomation.com/Pages/MultiProductDownload.aspx?crumb=112

Last edited:
Well, if you know the IP Address of any installed bridges (it is scrolling on the 1756 module's display)and if there is any subnet installed switch, it is a matter of setting your PC's NIC adapter's IP Address to a value "compatible" to the subnet you are intending to connect to.
For example, presuming a "generic" commisioning and using the 192.168.16.2 bridge you have originally described, your PC's Network Connections/Local Area Connection/Properties/Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)/Use the Following IP Address will have to be set at 192.168.2.xyz with a Subnet Mask of 255.255.255.0;(leave the Gateway at 0.0.0.0). You will have to be careful when choosing the forth octal(xyz) value though; it should be unique and since you probably do not know what addressing has already been used, type something (less than 255)in the vecinity of 211 or 222 (hopefully the developer did not use it!).
Once there, reboot the PC, patch the PC's NIC within the subnet's switch, start-up RSLinx and configure an EtherNet/IP driver; browse the newly added driver's network and you should be able to "see" the CPU owning the bridge you've just connected to.
I personally prefer using an Ethernet-to-USB adapter to directly connect to subnets since altering my laptop's NIC settings require re-booting and IT relationship inconveniences...:D

Last edited:
192.168.16.2 bridge you have originally described, your PC's Network Connections/Local Area Connection/Properties/Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)/Use the Following IP Address will have to be set at 192.168.2.xyz

Did you mean set it to 192.168."16".xyz...?