New to Controllogix hardware configuration

controlconcepts

Lifetime Supporting Member
I just bought my first 1756-A10 chassis with a power supply.

I have RSlogix 5000 V16.0

What I don't know much about is how the version or F/W REV. works into what will work together. Meaning if i bought a processor with F/W REV. 1.6 and I have v16.0 RS 5000 will that work? Would i need to use control flash to get the processor up to v16.0 in order to get it to work. If I understand correctly. Or is there more to it than that?? Is this the same with other modules as well?
And lastly when I select a processor in 5000 I only get the option for EX. 1756-L55. If i have a 1765-L55/A is that a problem or will t get recognized upon download or upload?

If there is anything else that I need to know about hardware and RS 5000 to get started out, manuals ,links or any other material to look into that would be great!!

Thanks again,
Matt

Upgrade your processor to V16 first, get new EDS from ab.com page. Use a serial cable upgrade your plc or use ethernet cable if you have a ethernet board on your rack.

Upgrade the processor by means of Controlflash?

Yes, Flash the processor to match your version of software. Beaware once you start the flash DO NOT INTERRUPT IT. If possible use Enet if not and you use com port then make sure your laptop is connected to AC and not on battery. The com port will take forever or at least it seems like it.

edit: what processor do you have?

Thank you cwal61 and widelto for the fast response. What about the EDS files where do they come into play and are they available to the public or do I need a tech connect contract..
Thanks Again,
Matt

You may have to register with ab.com to find all of this, but the eds files are free.

EDIT: Hey Lookie, eds files are now under a heading called "Network Resources":
http://www.rockwellautomation.com/rockwellautomation/support/networks/overview.page?

Also, your RSLogix5000 license should support the installation of newer versions, and I don't think techconnect is required, just register with the license number and owner name and download them. Multiple versions can be installed simultaneously. The software will automatically match the project CPU settings when you select a controller for a project, open a project, or go online.

With newer hardware, the eds files can be uploaded right out of the devices by right clicking on them in RLinx Who.

To find eds files for Rockwell stuff, I often let the wizard in the eds file installation tool connect to the web and find them for me.

Any version of firmware in a controller with a number of 1.x is going to be "boot firmware" All it can do is boot up and beg for real firmware which should be a part of the installed version if you included control flash support when you installed RSLogix5000.

Also, if you simply power up your boot only firmware controller, and try to go online, RSLogix5000 should automatically trigger Controlflash to start and give you a list of FRN numbers to install. If you only have version 16 installed, that list will be short!

Read up on the precautions when flashing firmware (if this is new to you). It can be painful if the process gets interrupted. With the older controllers, interrupting controlflash was usually a death blow to the CPU. The newer stuff with the boot firmware is much better at surviving interruptions but make sure that doesn't happen anyway.

Last edited:
Thanks Okie I found the EDS files from the link you provided. I get the control flash part but where dose the EDS update come into play?
Thanks again,
Matt

One other thing I was worried about is the compatibility of Rslinx. I have version 2.57.00.14 and when I goto add another driver in Rslinx I only see a driver for controllogix 5550 processor. Is this a problem?
Thanks,
Matt

One other thing I was worried about is the compatibility of Rslinx. I have version 2.57.00.14 and when I goto add another driver in Rslinx I only see a driver for controllogix 5550 processor. Is this a problem?
Thanks,
Matt

It shouldn't be. We are using 2.59 here.

This is a fascinating thread.
As you read it, you come to appreciate what a struggle it is to just start using AB's 1756 product and the associated 'companion' products.

Thanks Okie I found the EDS files from the link you provided. I get the control flash part but where dose the EDS update come into play?
Thanks again,
Matt
The eds file (not sure if this is still 100% true with latest version) is only about how rslinx identifies the device, and passes its identity to other rockwell software products.

So a brand new type of controller may require an eds file for RSLinx to identify it in the first place, and it may or may not also require an updated version of RSLogix to be able to connect with and program it.

Worry about the eds files as needed. If RSLinx shows the proper icon for a device in RSWho when the hardware is connected, then the eds files are fine.

We still have a L55 running version 16 firmware so I think you are good to go.

jdbrandt said:
This is a fascinating thread.
As you read it, you come to appreciate what a struggle it is to just start using AB's 1756 product and the associated 'companion' products.

Yes, now not only do you have to wade through the maze of communications setup but you get to learn about multiple version support, a whole new user interface, multi-tasking, multiple languages, tag based data, aliases, firmware downloading, the CIP protocol, RPI, shall I continue?

Last edited:
Wow Okie you go into such great detail on your responses... Thanks for all of you that have responded and hope this helps others as well. And yes Okie If time permits I am sure myself and others would love for you to continue on the subject. Sounds like you have a expert level of knowledge on the CLX line.

One other question I had is if a processor or module was at F/W REV. 18 and you only had RX 5000 V 16 can you back down the F/W REV. to V 16 ?

Again Thanks to all of you,
Matt