SIEMENS SIMATIC S7-200 (216-2AD23-0XB0) - general question

arhi

Hi, first post here so sorry for it being a noob question but what can I do .. I need help (and of course I need it yesterday o_O )

The background is as follows:
- I am software engineer (do consulting in IT, nothing related to plc's)
- I do know a lot about electronics, mcu's, cpu's .. made lot of projects
- I know theory about plc's but my practical experience is nill :(

The problem is:
- a friend (100% analog guy, nothing digital) need to solve a problem in his factory "asap"
- there are 2 SIEMENS SIMATIC S7-200 (216-2AD23-0XB0) modules in the line and both have a bug in their software. One has limits set wrong (you are setting some speed between 1 and 500 mm/sec, the normal speed is 150-200mm/sec, the upper limit in the plc is set to 50mm/sec, looks like someone forgot a zero); and the other one is reading input from encoder and showing encoder pulses as mm output (they forgot to divide the input from encoder with pulses_per_mm).
- guy's who designed this system left the company where they worked and took all documentation and sources with them, the company can't give us any sources or replacements, they can take the whole machine back and return money - this is not an option as production should start .. well .. a month ago
- I have access to machine with step7-micro/win
- I know how to make rs485 to usb adapter, I have no clue what the pinouts on the S7-200 (216-2AD23-0XB0) are nor what port to use - if someone can show me how to connect pc with this s7-200 I'd be very happy (I will try to purchase original cable tomorrow but if there isn't one available fastest way around it is to make one)

Major question: is there a way to fetch the program from the S7-200 (216-2AD23-0XB0) so that I can make this minor changes (change limit 50 to 500, divide input from encoder by some value ..) and return it back to it? If there is no way to get something readable in micro/win, is there some type of disassembler? 'cause I'm changing only few constants, that should be easy to locate and change?

Thanks for helping a noob here, it's all on the very short notice (or this would be handled by someone who know answers to these questions and not me) but .... ;)

p.s. sorry if I broke some forum rules or posted in wrong category

Anyone knows if S7-200 should be connected to a PC trough one of 2 RS485 dsub connectors or using the weird connector under the plastic cover?

Thanks a bunch for the answer. With regards to connector, there is third connector under the plastic. So I connect the plc to pc using one of the two rs485, no need to touch that hidden connector, great :)

I will for sure make backup if I manage to read data from the plc.

many thanks

To be sure on the sintaks and semantics (as this guy in video was seriously unclear saying one doing another)

in micro/win

"download" is from PLC to PC
"upload" is from PC to PLC

I do not want to by accident overwrite the code on the PLC so first thing I want to do is get the program from plc and store it somewhere.

Thanks in advance

great, I would of cleared up the content of the plc on the first go :(

What's the safest way to just backup content?

What's the safest way to just backup content?

Pay someone and have them upload it for you :)

The port under the cover is a expansion port NOT a programming port, for programming and communication they are the two ports on the left... (DB9)

Pay someone and have them upload it for you :)

It's what I'd do if it was a possibility :( but I'm doing next best thing - I will have another similar module (empty) to test stuff before I attach the problematic one to the pc :)

The port under the cover is a expansion port NOT a programming port, for programming and communication they are the two ports on the left... (DB9)

Thanks, I didn't think I am that lucky :D

s7-200 serial port is 485 so you would need a 485 to rs232 converter to connect to a normal pc seriel port
Siemens supply some
6es7 901 3db30-0xa0 (USB model)

guy's, thanks a bunch for support. just to follow up
- siemens guy was very surprised that we got a new machine with s7-200, he said that 1200 replaced 200 while ago (and it has ethernet - but you guy's already know that :D )
- siemens guy managed to get us cable locally (fairly cheap, only 120eur for rs232 cable + 2e usb2rs232)
- they also gave us microWin 4 for 250e
- I connected the plc's to some widows laptop I have (usb->rs232->rs485) read the program (it was not pass protected), saved the program

Tomorrow we'll be playing on site changing the parameters but that should be simple, it's just another programming lang, only optimized for electricians and not programmers :D but how hard can it be :)

again, huuuuge thanks guy's