Data logging with Rockwell Software

ThaDutch

Hey

I have some problem setting up a datalogging system because i really don't know what to do and where to start. I found some nice threads in here that gave me some ideas, but not solved my problem.

I need a system that logs my consumption on e.g. water and gas. This could be either pr. second, minut or hour - i haven't made my decision yet. Of the data i want to see a graph on this total consumption on either day, month or year and has to have no intervention by the operator, so when the operator wants to see the data from e.g. the year 2011, the operator just click a button. The data has to be logged dynamically with no "Start logging button".

A friend told me that i could be using an Excel solution with three Excelsheets. Another friend told me that FactoryTalk View Studio could log my data. But i can't really make it work without that "Start logging button".

How do you guys do?

Sorry for my bad english. Hope you still understand..

I am not sure where you are at as far as measurement instruments, but in general, I try to let the flowmeter do its thing, and talk to it as often as possible, and log everything feasible.

Endress and Hauser is my present favorite for really good instruments.

If you already have a spare license for Factory Talk View, you can create a data log model.

As far as when to start, just log everything, and you should be able to allow HMI level views of the historical data, at any ranges, in a chart format, and even use it for machine control decision logic.

Don't use excel unless you need to be constantly fiddling with something that will work great for an hour or a day but never longer than a week without giving you a new fault to trap.

Purchase instruments with on-board smarts, totalization and remote control/reset features.

If you don't own a license, the most painless way to log for a newbie would be with a RedLion ethernet enabled HMI or data station product and a CF card.

Further than that, I would have to know more about your machinery.

Last edited:
My software is RSLogix 5000 v20, FactoryTalk View Site SE/ME ect. I have something like the full package.

I have read somewhere about View Sites ability to log data through that "Data Log Model" you mention. But i'm not quite sure how to handle it and how to see the datas as graphs?

I've been using a panelview+ on a Comapct Logix L32E and I must say the AB data logging is one of the most inept and inconvenient of packages out there. It is very limited capacity and has a crummy data storage system. There should be the availabilty relational DB right in the panelview+(in my opinion., In order to get the data we needed to log, I hooked up a CMore monochrome and it at least saves the data in perpetuity on a USB stick. For the outrageous price a the PanelView, I wish it had the flexibility to do substantial data logging. I'm betting there's a $4000 activeX add-on you can buy from an encompass associate....

Yes, if you want reliable hassle free logging, spend the money on a G308 or larger HMI from Red Lion, or a DSP or PTV.

If you would rather spend that money babysitting bloated turdware, make sure you pony up for tech connect for FactoryTalk Studio, because the software will at some point become unstable and you can only fix it with access to paid technical notes.

Hey

I have some problem setting up a datalogging system because i really don't know what to do and where to start. I found some nice threads in here that gave me some ideas, but not solved my problem.

I need a system that logs my consumption on e.g. water and gas. This could be either pr. second, minut or hour - i haven't made my decision yet. Of the data i want to see a graph on this total consumption on either day, month or year and has to have no intervention by the operator, so when the operator wants to see the data from e.g. the year 2011, the operator just click a button. The data has to be logged dynamically with no "Start logging button".

A friend told me that i could be using an Excel solution with three Excelsheets. Another friend told me that FactoryTalk View Studio could log my data. But i can't really make it work without that "Start logging button".

How do you guys do?

Sorry for my bad english. Hope you still understand..

I agree with other users of the FactoryTalk View Data Logging...It is a PITA and even the 6.0 Revision has a long list of "known issues"...o_O
The good ol' DDE (Dynamic Data Exchange- Excel VBA) even if "clunky" when compared to modern database systems still works though; you will need a licensed copy of RSLinx.
However, Logix platforms provide controller data logging provisions; even if a little cumbersome at the time of user "data-processing", Logix CPU data logging is relatively easy to setup and has a small "footprint".
Chapter 3 of :
http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/pm/1756-pm015_-en-p.pdf

Last edited:
Thx a lot for the answers!

Though the plant is just a small boilerplant and i only need to log a few flows, temperature and some pumps running time i think i'll go with tibris solution or atleast try it :)
Thx again! :)

Sql

Hey
For printing your data in a nice graph I have no nice solution. But just for writing data from the PLC to a database or reading data from the database to the PLC I use always www.SQL4automation.com. You can send SQL statements from the PLC to the database.
Maybe it's usful for you....