S7 PM-E Status byte

I am using a ET200s with some normal IO and some safe IO powered by several PM-E DC 24V (138-4CA01-0AA0). I was intending to enable the status byte and use the 1st bit to light some “24V Healthy” indicators on the HMI and desk.

I am getting a strange anomaly; if the status byte is allocated an address above the lowest address of the safety module, then it doesn’t work.

My HW setup:- First PM-E has I address = 0, followed by some non-safe IO, then a PM-E I-address 6, then a safe input module I 10-15, then PM-E address 16, then a safe output module I 21-25.
The first two PM-E status bytes (0 & 6) work fine, but the last one (16) fails to reflect the state of the module’s supply.

Without moving any hardware:-
If I change the address of the last PM-E to a number below 10 (in HW-Config), then it works.
If I change the address of the first two to a number above 10, then it stops working.

I spent hours trying to find an explanation for this in the manuals, but have failed. Has anyone else experienced this or can tell me what is going on?
Thank you