Problem using status byte

scottsull

Hi everyone, any help with the following would be greatly appreciated.

I am trying to use the status byte S:53L with an EQU instruction. The AB manual states that address S:53L contains the "day of the week" in a SLC5/04 with Operating System 401. I am using a 1747-L541 SLC5/04 with 16k of memory and OS401.

I have checked S:53L many times and it does indeed contain the correct "day of the week". I have lots of available memory.

The manual shows "dynamic config" under classification for that address, I am not sure what this means.

All I want to do is check to see if S:53L is equal to zero. When I try to verify the rung I get an error "Invalid Direct File Offset" and it will not compile.

If I use S:53 as a word with the EQU instruction it compiles
OK (at least shows no errors) but the description is "Discrete Input Interrupt Timer".

Does anyone have any experience with this? Once again, any and all help is appreciated.

Last edited:
Rube said:
I tested the rung below on the same 5/04 type with no issues.

-----EQU S:53 3--------OTE B3/24-------

Ditto, I did not write the descriptions. It Came with S:53
see attached

Thanks

Thank you Rube and Mickey.

Could either of you tell me what version of RSLogix you are using?

Mickey, I did not write the description either, it came with S:53.

Did either of you try to EQU just the low byte (S:53L)?

Thanks again.

I don't think S:53L is a valid address. The 'L' is probably just a description in the documentation for you benefit to describe which part of this longer memory contains the actual data. I don't have my manuals here. Is anything defined for the upper or High (H) portion of the location? If not then you can compare the whole word as Rube and Mickey showed. If the high portion is used you may need to mask off that portion before doing a compare. Perhaps a MEQ box?

scottsull said:
Thank you Rube and Mickey.

Could either of you tell me what version of RSLogix you are using?

Mickey, I did not write the description either, it came with S:53.

Did either of you try to EQU just the low byte (S:53L)?

Thanks again.
I am using Ver 7.0
I got the same error you did with S:53L

I have use the status bit. i used the hr bit for a cycle time routine it worked just fine.
are you putting the L in there ??

Thanks Bernie Carlton, Mickey and pdelno.

Bernie;

The high byte is listed as Reserved and has always been zero each time I have checked.

Mickey;

I am using version 4.50 and just tried version 5.0 with the same results as v4.50. It really bothers me that the description "Discrete Input Interrupt Timer" is automatically set when using S:53 as a word in the EQU instruction.

pdelno;

Yes, I am using year, month, day, hour, minute, and second status bits and all compile just fine. It is only the day of the week byte that is giving me trouble.

Last edited: