Koyo Grinder - Fanuc Memory Backup

I have been working on backing up all of our Fanuc controls and storing the data on our Network (CNC Parameters, PMC Parameters, Macro Variables, Tool Comp, Part Programs, Pitch Error, and the Ladder). So far everything has been pretty straight forward with the various controls that we have. I am down to the last 4 Koyo’s that are giving us some trouble. Unlike the rest of the Fanuc controls that we have, our Koyo’s do NOT have a “Mode Selector” switch to change between MDI & Edit mode. In order to perform the backup procedures I need to get into “Edit” mode so I can punch out all the data through RS232. I guess the Koyo's are always in MDI mode? Does anyone know anything about Koyo’s or have any ideas on how to get into edit mode or punch out this data? We have tried everything we can think of and looked all over for a switch to get into "Edit" mode. When I tried to punch out the data (like I normally would on a Fanuc control) it blinks saying “Wrong Mode".

Seeing how all 4 of our Koyo's do NOT have a "mode selector" switch to change between MDI and Edit, i'm assuming this is a Koyo issue (not a Fanuc issue). I have tried contacting Koyo and have not had any luck yet. I'm guessing it's something very simple that I am missing that they do on all their machines. I was just hoping I could find a Koyo expert or someone who has performed backups on Koyo's.

I assume that these are Koyo-controlled grinding machines of some specific model. What is it?

Koyo also makes PLCs, and maybe you are talking about backing up the PLC program?

I assume that these are Koyo-controlled grinding machines of some specific model. What is it?

Koyo also makes PLCs, and maybe you are talking about backing up the PLC program?

Yes they are Koyo Grinders. Specificaly the one that we are trying to backup at the moment is a Koyo KVD-450W with a Fanuc Powermate D control. I would add a few pictures but this forum doesnt allow much quality (the pictures would be useless).

Powermates typically had a Hand Held programmer that would be used to change modes, if you have one of these you would change Parameter W1 to "1" IIRC, it has been a long-long time the parameter was typically called "PeeWee" and don't forget to change "PeeWee" back to zero. You better double check that parameter number. You could also put a Memory card in the HHP and archive everything to the card.

BTW, this is the same Hand Held programmer that the first GE Fanuc 90-30 PLCs used, it just had a different overlay on the keypad.

Last edited:
Powermates typically had a Hand Held programmer that would be used to change modes, if you have one of these you would change Parameter W1 to "1" IIRC, it has been a long-long time the parameter was typically called "PeeWee" and don't forget to change "PeeWee" back to zero. You better double check that parameter number. You could also put a Memory card in the HHP and archive everything to the card.

BTW, this is the same Hand Held programmer that the first GE Fanuc 90-30 PLCs used, it just had a different overlay on the keypad.

The Powermate D controls that we have on our Koyo's do NOT have any handhelds. Also, I am not sure I understand the "PeeWee" thing. I am not trying to edit a parameter or anything. I am trying to get into EDIT mode instead of MDI mode. Changing the "PeeWee" does NOT change it from MDI to EDIT mode.

These controls do not have PCMCIA slots either. The backup will have to be done through a RS232 serial port. This should not be an issue for me, I just cant figure out how to get the control to go from MDI to EDIT.

Getting into edit mode is generally done by turning on one of the hardwired inputs. If that input isn't actually wired to anything, I expect you would have to force it on from the control panel. Presumably that would mean you'd have to turn on the "PWE" bit (PeeWee) and then force on the input bit designated as "EDT". That's bit 0 of X1001 on a PowerMate H. I don't know the address for a PowerMate D.

Getting into edit mode is generally done by turning on one of the hardwired inputs. If that input isn't actually wired to anything, I expect you would have to force it on from the control panel. Presumably that would mean you'd have to turn on the "PWE" bit (PeeWee) and then force on the input bit designated as "EDT". That's bit 0 of X1001 on a PowerMate H. I don't know the address for a PowerMate D.

This is what we were thinking. Seeing how we do not have any switch hardwired, we were thinking that we may need to place a jumper in place of the switch (or like you said maybe we can force it on from the control panel). I guess we will need to dig into this further.

The Powermate D controls that we have on our Koyo's do NOT have any handhelds. Also, I am not sure I understand the "PeeWee" thing. I am not trying to edit a parameter or anything. I am trying to get into EDIT mode instead of MDI mode. Changing the "PeeWee" does NOT change it from MDI to EDIT mode.

These controls do not have PCMCIA slots either. The backup will have to be done through a RS232 serial port. This should not be an issue for me, I just cant figure out how to get the control to go from MDI to EDIT.
You are correct. However the fact that the OEM did not supply the HHP with the machine as standard does not negate its use. Also the parameter did not change the mode, only allowed the mode to be changed by the Mode key on the HHP.
You can save all important data through the serial port too.
The Fanuc CNC controls are very versatile, but documentation for them is not always easy to find or interpret.

I was able to get into EDIT mode this morning by pressing the Offset/Setting button and then scrolling right [>] until I saw "OPR." From here I was able to select EDIT mode. I knew it would be something really easy and stupid. I checked my other 3 Koyo's and they were similar.

In the KVD-450W (I have not tried the other Koyo's yet), once in EDIT mode I tried to Punch out the data through the RS232 port as I usually would do. I started with the Parameters, I pressed "Punch" and the second I hit "Exec" (Execute) I got an "086 DR SIGNAL OFF"Alarm. The Fanuc manual gives the following Alarm description: "When entering data in the memory by using Reader / Puncher interface, the ready signal (DR) of reader / puncher was off. Power supply of I/O unit is off or cable is not connected or a P.C.B. is defective." From what I understand this alarm is because I have an RS232 communication issue.

I am using a Serial to USB adapter with PC-DNC Editor Software and a custom made 25 to 9 serial cable. I have been using this setup on other Fanuc controls and again confirmed it working on a Fanuc 18-TB today. So I'm guessing it's an issue within the machine (not my setup). I'm not sure if it's an issue within the wiring/cables or if its a setting/channel issue within the control? Anyone have any suggestion or have any experience with this Alarm?

Does it matter that the A02B0120C192 serial cable is plugged into the PM3 JD5 port rather than the PM1 ?

If needed, I noticed that PLC Center sells a replacement A02B-0120-C192 for $198 http://www.plccenter.com/en-US/Buy/FANUC/A02B0120C192

I have attached some pictures and some parameters.....