Wiring Pressure Switch

cmj78

I am about to to install a filter in the field complete with a pressure switch that will alarm when filter blocked. I am only able to find a switch with 110Vac rating that has the correct spec's that I require, but PLC I is looking for 24Vdc. Any suggestions on most practical way to wire up this switch?

Are you sure your switch is a "differential pressure switch" with 2 ports; one for upstream pressure, one for downstream pressure?

A switch rating with a higher voltage rating should be OK at a lower voltage service, especially when the switch is used for signalling the alarm state to a PLC input, which is light load.

There are plenty of 24VDC loop powered pressure switches available. try fineteck

If you require 24v input to the PLC and buying another switch is not an option, using the 110v out of the pressure switch to power a simple 110v cube relay. using a 24 v source through a normally open contact to the PLC should give you the 24 volts you require.

If I'm misunderstanding and the switch is a contact rated at 110volts, just send the 24 volts though the switch to the PLC.

If you require 24v input to the PLC and buying another switch is not an option, using the 110v out of the pressure switch to power a simple 110v cube relay. using a 24 v source through a normally open contact to the PLC should give you the 24 volts you require.

If I'm misunderstanding and the switch is a contact rated at 110volts, just send the 24 volts though the switch to the PLC.

I agree with the above quote.

More than likely the PS has dry contacts and 110V is the MAX voltage they are rated for.

There is no need to guess. You too can read the pertinent Norman Tee-Type Filter Specifications. I AssUme that the "filter in the field complete with a pressure switch" is really talking about the optional Electrical Switch mentioned below:
OPTIONAL ACCESSORIES
Norman Tee-Type filters have a number of optional accessories in stock to modify our standard housings to meet your specific application requirements:

Visual Indicator:
Signals when the element needs changing. Reduces maintenance costs caused by premature element change-out.

Electrical Switch:
Similar to visual indicator, above, but with a microswitch (normally open) and standard conduit connection. Used to actuate warning light, buzzer, etc., to signal element clogging.

Bypass Relief Valve:
Internal valve relieves pressure during flow surges or cold startup. Recommended with low-collapse elements.

Pressure Taps:
Gauge ports on the inlet and outlet of the filter for external differential pressure sensing devices. Bowl Drain: Allows liquid to be drained from the bowl to facilitate element change-out.

Last edited: