PLC SLC 500/03 Processor problem

Shaun Newton

Hello All,
I am having an issue with configuring the processor for a SLC 500/03. Every time I download it switches the processor to a different one and then faults out because of the conflict.Does anyone have an answer for this or know how to fix this problem from happening?

Hey Shaun, welcome to the forum.

When a new project gets developed, one of the very first things you must do is select exactly which CPU you are using. When you attempt to download your new project it compares what you selected to the actual hardware. If those do not match, then the program must change the "offline" CPU to match the actual hardware. This is the prompt you are getting and it is normal.

I suspect that the reason your system is faulting is not because of the CPU, but because of other models in the system.

One of the other tasks we perform when creating a new application is to specify the "I/O Configuration". In other words, define what modules are going to be in what chassis slots.

Here is where the gotcha comes in. If the wrong CPU has been specified, the system prompts you with the correct CPU. It does not do the same for the I/O modules. Instead, when you attempt to put the CPU in Run mode, it then compares the I/O Configuration to your actual I/O modules. If they are not exactly the same, the system faults.

After your CPU faults if you are able to go to the Processor Status window and view the Error tab, it should give you a fault code. That fault code can help you/us determine why it faulted. There is also a short error description. Can you find out what that error is and post it back here for us? Specifically, the error/fault code.

OG

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply.
It is telling me there is a power loss on an external rack.
I do an I/O config. The problem is it will not let me download the program without switching to the other processor even tho I have the right processor in the I/O config. It switches from a L532 to a L532B as soon as I download it.

So, first, if it tells you it is the wrong CPU, then it is the wrong CPU. The 5/03 is upgradeable through a firmware upgrade so the label on the device might not reflect the upgrade from the 532 to the 532B.

In the I/O Configuration window, verify only the racks you actually have are defined. If it has a second or third rack defined that you don't have in your physical system then it will fault.

Whatever actual modules you have must be defined in the I/O Configuration. Nothing can be missing, no extras. That is why it faults. The I/O Configuration must MATCH the physical system.

OG

Problem being there is no external rack and every slot is configured right.It is only using 8 slots of a 10 slot rack. Is there any way that it will only take the 532B processor.

No, everything is fine up till I download the program then it tells me that it is going to change the CPU to the L532B and will not download till I press OK. Is there a default setting that will not let me change the CPU of that rack.

I found the Problem I think. I am changing a 500/02 with a 500/03 it could be a software issue. Might not be compatible!!! Will try with another 500/02 CPU to see if that was the issue.Thank you for your replies. Will let you know if it works.

If you do have the actual program and everything else you may need it is worth a shot:

Clear the memory of the CPU.
WARNING: This wipes the CPU clean, nothing left so make sure you have whatever you need to get the system up and running, current programs, etc.

Do a search on here and you'll find the steps to follow (pull the battery, short out 2 pins on the CPU board, Vbb and ??)
That is if you have back ups and all sorts of stuff.
This will wipe out everything and you can start fresh with the hardware configuration as well as the program download.