Omron cpm1a

DetlefP

Hi,
I am about to learn how works OMRON controler. I bought a CPM1A controller for test and training reason. The programmer software I am using is CX Programmer 9.34. I want connect the CPM1A via USB cable (USB-CIF02) to the laptop....but this does not work. Looks like the CPM1A communicate with com3 only.....do I need another RS232 adapter and going into the laptop???? Or is there any other way to get the communication up and running?
Any ideas on that???

From the device manager you should be able check which com port is assigned to USB-CIF02.

In your PLC settings under the com port select the respective com port number.

Regards

just a quick additional question or two
1. which version windows are you running (not really important)
2. Have you tried the auto online?

Have you installed the driver for the CIF02? Are you using a standard off the shelf serial cable? If you are it will not work - Omron use a special serial cable. Have not used one of these old tigers for years so may be rusty - they are no longer supported.

rs232c port pin allocation.jpg

From the CP1M manual (attached is a snipped image), you will see that Omron has a different RS232 port pin allocation, so if you connect your USB-to-Serial cable directly, it won’t work.

You could make your own data cable following the connection on the image I have also attached.
data cable.png

So, this data cable hooks up directly to the RS232 port of your Omron CPU or SCU and then the other end would be to your USB-to-Serial cable.

I've been using this with my CJ1M.

I'm not sure if this is what you are having trouble with, but I hope this helps.

Regards,

Chicky

Last edited:
Dear All,
thanks for your great help. I guess it was my fault to not think about the driver. The cable I bought looks like OMRON OEM part, but it came without driver I guess. Will I find the driver in the CX Programmer????
Any idea from were toget this driver....
Thanks for wiring and pin set up for RS232 cable....I will try to use USB connection
Thanks again

USB-CIF02 is not sold by Omron. This is a third party cable.
If you do a web search for USB-CIF02 you should be able to find the proper driver.

I am using a similar cable from plctrainer.net on a Windows 7 Pro 64 bit machine. It looks like that site has drivers available for download.

Hope this will help.

Driver for comm cable

Thanks a lot...I found the driver and left with the only question 64bit or 84 bit...you answered this question with your reply. I did not know that the cable is not from Omron...but who cares if it works....

Hello gtsuport
thyanks again for your help, finally I got it run. The communication works well, but you were right it was the missing driver...my machine needed 84 bit driver. I guess the red/green blinking on the box attached to the cable is the right sign for communication, the yellow LED on the PLC is blinking too...and I could upload the program already