Static IP in SLC500

ceilingwalker

Lifetime Supporting Member
Good day all, does anyone know how to determine a static IP of a SLC5/05? I ended up having to connect using serial cable and DF-1 driver and then assigning a new IP address. Is there another way to determine IP address?

The IP address should have been shown in the Channel Configuration when connected using the RS232 cable.

You could also check other devices that talked to that PLC for clues. Check the message instructions from other plcs, panelview programs, etc. If there are no other devices communicating with the SLC and no one knew the original IP address to begin with, it shouldn't matter than its changed. Just document the new address on be proud you made things better!

if the plc is right out of the box, you should use bootp to assign the address. no ip address is assigned.

if you are connecting to the plc already in service, perhaps the one who set the plc up did not have an ethernet port or a crossover cable. in that case you would connect to the plc using the serial port, upload the program.

i'm not sure if you can go online, but goto channel configuration under channel 1 and set the ip address and subnet nask. uncheck the bootp enable option.

if it will not let you, you will have to download the program when the machine is down and at home position. make sure your ip and subnet on the pc will work with the plc settings.

regards,
james