Crimson - Run programs without the HMI hardware ?

passwordg

Hello, quick question about the Crimson HMI from Red Lion.
I'm trying to learn the software and installing the Crimson 3.0 programming software and write a program that will talk to a controllogix plc.

Can we run a project like on a windows pc or do we need their hmi panels to do so ?

Would this work on a virtual PC like windows xp running in Vmware ?

Yes, most features are available in the emulator (with some exeptions, such as compact flash operations). I'm assuming you are using Ethernet to talk to the PLC. Under the Link Menu > Options. Check the box for send to emulator, and push configure. Then select your ethernet port to use. Set up the ethernet adaptor to use, and then configure the ethernet port in windows.

You will be time limited, after which the emulator will need to be restarted. Not sure how long this is, as I have never ran into it in testing.

I was having a problem with ethernet communications to Acromag I/O once. They where able to duplicate the problem using the emulator, and my program. Was very handy.

Note: if you are using the serial port, use your normal PLC cable. (Red lion uses different pins for serial/485)