RSLogix version 15 with 1769-if8 module

drichardson

:unsure:
I am having trouble downloading my program. Our system has a L32E processor and one of my modules (1769-IF8) seems to fault during the download. I spoke to Ray at AB and he told me it could be becuase I have new firmware with old software. He told me to change the module to disabled keying from compatible keying. Does any one know if this could be my problem or has anyone experienced the same problem?

I recently updated RSLinx from 2.50 to 2.59. Im communicating via USB to serial and have an established path of communication to my controller. It just keeps faulting during the download. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!
Thanks

:unsure:
I am having trouble downloading my program. Our system has a L32E processor and one of my modules (1769-IF8) seems to fault during the download. I spoke to Ray at AB and he told me it could be becuase I have new firmware with old software. He told me to change the module to disabled keying from compatible keying. Does any one know if this could be my problem or has anyone experienced the same problem?

I recently updated RSLinx from 2.50 to 2.59. Im communicating via USB to serial and have an established path of communication to my controller. It just keeps faulting during the download. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!
Thanks

Not sure what you mean by one of my modules (1769-IF8) seems to fault during the download ... what indication do you get that the module is "faulting"?

As soon as the download starts the module will lose its connection to the controller, and its OK LED will start to flash. That is a normal indication, and when the project is fully downloaded it should revert to solid green.

It could be that you are not downloading successfully, and many people have had issues with many brands of USB to Serial converter modules. What type are you using?

Since it's an L32E, why can't you use Ethernet to download the project ? Presumably the L32E is connected to a switch somewhere that you can connect your PC to.

Last edited:
For some reason it wont recoginize the controller via ethernet. My only indication that it is faulting during the download because of the IF8 is because the "ok" light on the module turns off and my controllers "ok" light turns solid red then the IF8 comes back on green and my controller remains red and starts blinking and then the download faults out. I have a feeling its having a problem communicating with the IF8.

The system fault I'm recieving when the program was in the controller is Low Inlet Pressure. I know there is pressure on the inlet though. I have swapped out the Inlet transducer with two other brand new ones and have the same fault.
Also, within the module(IF8)properties the only tabs avaiable are General and Connection. Shouldnt there be a configuration tab as well? Maybe Im missing something...

Have you ever had to use the disable keying function on the IF8 module? Im curious as to what this may do to the system, because all info I have found on the web indicates that they dont recommend using that.

....I have a feeling its having a problem communicating with the IF8...

I have a feeling the USB/Serial converter is preventing a successful download.

Because your controller is red-lighting, the project hasn't been successfully downloaded, nothing to do with the IF8 module .... if it's wrong in any way, the controller will just not make the connection.

As for the ethernet issue, that is almost certain to be IP addressing issues.

I use a Belkin F5U409 adapter and it worked rather nicely until I tried to use it on our new laptop running Windows 7 64-bit laptop. But I fixed that issue when I found a third-party driver for my OS - works great now.

Anyway, as to the ethernet issue, ethernet is the best/quickest way to go if possible - much smoother operation, fewer faults. If you know how to setup ethernet IP driver in RSLinx, and then change your computer's IP Address to match the PLC to which you are trying to connect, you will probably not have any trouble downloading a project into your PLC as long as your project revision number matches your PLC revision number. If your project revision is different than your PLC, you will have to change the project to match the PLC to keep from receiving faults when downloading.

I also agree that it doesn't sound like a problem with your module. I use the same module in one of our equipment testers with a L43 processor with no downloading problems. Use ethernet whenever possible though.

Last edited: