Crimson can't communicate with Redlion G307K2

TConnolly

Lifetime Supporting Member
I can't communicate with a Redlion G307K2. I'm using Crimson build 548.001, Win 7 64. I''ve tried the serial port over Keyspan USB-RS232 adaptor with a null modem cable, and I've tried with a USB cable.
With the serial connection I get "No Response" and with the USB I get "unable to open port."

Any suggestion?

You need a special cable - the RS232 port on the back of the HMI is not the normal pin out. I have never tried the usb port but I was told initial programming but be done over serial. Check the manual for the pinout of the port and make our own cable.

Thanks. I'll check. I don't get why the ! they didn't stick with the standard pin out. Sell more cables. Inconvenience the customer.

I've used lots of standard G3s, but this is my first Kadet. Once I get the initial program in will I be able to program it over E-net like a standard G3?

Thanks. I'll check. I don't get why the ! they didn't stick with the standard pin out. Sell more cables. Inconvenience the customer.

I've used lots of standard G3s, but this is my first Kadet. Once I get the initial program in will I be able to program it over E-net like a standard G3?

Yes, after you set it up using serial, you can download over Ethernet.

Also, you can't clear the memory and set it to download via Ethernet like the other G3xx units. If you lose the program you have to have a cable. For this reason I've started leaving a serial cable in the enclosure with the KADET2. That way any of my field guys can just grab it and connect if they need to without supplying them all with cables.

The 4" and 7" K2s use different serial cables, BTW.

I think the problem is that Redlion doesn't make the hardware for the Kadet2s. I can't imagine they would do something so non-standard if they did.

I try to just stick with the G315s...

Also keep in mind that the newer G304K2s have a different pinout than the older G304Ks (without the '2' suffix). The RS-232 programming connection moved from pins 7 & 8 to pins 6 & 9 when they added an additional RS-485 port (COM3).

http://www.redlion.net/Support/TechNotes/HumanMachineInterface/TNG3K4.pdf

Similar issue with the older C306K vs. newer G307K2 units.

http://www.redlion.net/Support/TechNotes/HumanMachineInterface/TNG3K6.pdf

I make my own programming adapters to keep in my laptop bag. That way I only have to carry one standard serial cable, and plug in the appropriate adapter.

http://www.l-com.com/d-sub-do-it-yourself-d-sub-adapter-kits-customize-your-own-db9-adapters

Of course, I still have to carry a bunch of other cables since not every PLC/HMI has a DB9 connector, but it's still less cables overall... ;)

🍻

-Eric

If you've used the standard G3 then you may know this already, but you can't download through Ethernet if you happen to update your Crimson build. (An upgrade or downgrade requires new firmware to be downloaded to the unit, which is not supported over Ethernet.) With the standard units, Ethernet will still work if you have a CompactFlash card installed, but I don't know about the Kadets.

Ever since I started using more of the Kadets, I've gotten in the habit of making my own D-sub cables. It's really easy if you have the right components. I use Cinch Econo-D connectors with machined contacts, and a Paladin 1460 crimp tool.

http://www.alliedelec.com/catalog/pf.aspx?fn=215.pdf
http://www.alliedelec.com/search/productdetail.aspx?SKU=70199494

Last edited:
If you've used the standard G3 then you may know this already, but you can't download through Ethernet if you happen to update your Crimson build. (An upgrade or downgrade requires new firmware to be downloaded to the unit, which is not supported over Ethernet.) With the standard units, Ethernet will still work if you have a CompactFlash card installed, but I don't know about the Kadets.

I'm not sure what you are saying. You can update the firmware on standard G3xx units as well as the new Kadet2 units over Ethernet. The standard ones do require CF but the first thing I do when I get a new one is install a CF card.

Last edited:
Are you saying that firmware can be updated on the Kadets with an Ethernet connection?

If so, then thanks for the tip. I assumed they operated the same as the standard G3's in that regard. I don't always install CF cards (although I should... they cost pennies) and so I have to get out the USB cable from time to time.

Are you saying that firmware can be updated on the Kadets with an Ethernet connection?

If so, then thanks for the tip. I assumed they operated the same as the standard G3's in that regard. I don't always install CF cards (although I should... they cost pennies) and so I have to get out the USB cable from time to time.

Yes, Kadet2s can be updated over Ethernet.

Follow up post.

I made a cable and it worked just fine.

The cable pin outs are:

Computer Redlion
RS232 port G307K2
or Programming Port/
USB-Serial adaptor COM2
Female Female
pin # pin#

2 (RX)----------------------------(TX) 4
3 (TX)----------------------------(RX) 6
5 (Gnd)--------------------------(Gnd) 5

Maybe that will be of help to someone in the future.

What I will eventually do is mount one of these

on a din rail inside the control panel and wire it to the Redlion terminal. That way I can plug my USB-serial converter directly into it and connect to the terminal.

Last edited:
Kadet USB

FYI, The USB port on the Kadets in non functional. Redlion buys these panels overseas and they have no driver for the USB port, and after talking to them about it they plan on never supporting it.

And to make things more complicated, the G304K2 is different for the default programming port!
o_O
It looks like this should work:
Code:
 Computer                               Redlion
   RS232 port                              [HIGHLIGHT="yellow"]G304K2[/HIGHLIGHT]
        or                              Programming Port/
  USB-Serial adaptor                        COM2
     Female                                 Female
      pin #                                 pin#

2 (RX)----------------------------(TX) [HIGHLIGHT="yellow"]6[/HIGHLIGHT]
       3 (TX)----------------------------(RX) [HIGHLIGHT="yellow"]9[/HIGHLIGHT]
       5 (Gnd)--------------------------(Gnd) 5
But I have not yet tested it...

And apparently you can use the USB connector to power up a G307K2. We had a cable laying around type A plug to type A plug, connected it from a PC to the Kadet to see what would happen. No smoke rolled out, but we could not program it either. I have no idea where that cable came from or for what it might be used. I turned off the power source to see what the boot screen said about the Kadet and it never went off. It had no database and nothing on any other port, so I am not sure how much I could have actually done with it on USB power which I assume is 5vdc. I unplugged the USB cable and plugged it back in . . . with no other power applied, and the Kadet booted up.

When googling the pin out for the serial port to see what others were doing I was lead to this thread and learned from thelinuxman that the USB port deserves a wad of putty or epoxy or at least a little plastic cap and some JB Weld or crazy glue.

Last edited: