Spectrum 1769sc-IF8U modules going bad

brstilson

Have a customer with a number of these modules installed. The newer ones work great, but the older ones (by older I mean heavily used, moved from machine to machine, etc.) I noticed are very, very finnicky. Every once in a while, the Processor will fault out and be unable to communicate with the modules. The IO light on the processor will blink and the Run light will be red. If I clear the fault, and cycle power to it in Remote Program, and then put it in Run mode, it will work. But as soon as I cut power to it again in Run Mode, it will fault out on power up.

I check the connections in the back, they're fine. White tabs are pushed all the way to the left. But even then I jostle them around a bit and then everything seems to work. There is some heat in the panel, and it has a fan/louver in it but nothing too serious. I also notice that on the newer spectrum modules, the "OK" light turns on almost immediately when the power is applied to the power supply. On the older modules, they take over 10 seconds to turn on after power is applied. I can even tell when the processor is going to fault out because it always happens when one OK light turns on and then the other a few seconds later. If they both turn on at the same time (even after the delay), the processor will eventually go into run mode and the IO light will go solid green.

I recommended that the customer change the modules, but I just wanted to throw this up here in case anyone else has had my experience. I'd hate to spend their money on brand new modules and still have the same problem.

Last edited: