RSView32 Runtime intermittent communication loss

engiedude

hello, I have recently been experiencing a problem with RSView32 Runtime where communication loss occurs temporarily resulting in tag values to be lost. What could be the cause of this? The computer is running Windows XP with RSView32 Version 7.50 CPR 9. Maybe time to reinstall the OS? After some searching, I came across this: https://rockwellautomation.custhelp.com/ci/fattach/get/26653/1243008184 "The tag values stop updating and no wire frame or error logs are created. Old data tags are reported. This anomaly occurs in the normal operating phase. This issue has only been observed in applications where RSLinx Classic software is providing OPC data and is running on newer multi-core or multi-processor computers."

In most cases where data stops updating but there is no communications error it is usually about thread processing. Communications servers are engines. They have threads that need to be run to do things like query data from the device or devices and update the clients. When a thread is processed depends upon when the OS has time to run it. Resources are limited in OS's like XP. If there is a lot running on the PC then threads have to be moved around to use the available resources and process the threads.

From all of that explanation it is very possible that this is what you are seeing.

what service pack, how much memory, type of cpu, type on interface, version of rslinx?

we were running xp sp3 with an older version which would not run on sp3.
the same pc had 512 mb ram, up it to 2 gb and that helped.
same pc had a ktx card and the new version of rslinx wouldn't work correctly, wend down a version and it ran like a champ.

regards,
james

I don't think you can jump to an assumption about thread processing until you define exactly what is meant by "communication loss occurs temporarily resulting in tag values to be lost".

Do wireframe indications happen ? Are error log entries created ? If so, that Knowledgebase document is unlikely to be the problem.

You implied in your post that you are seeing the sort of behavior described in the Knowledgebase document. But for all I know, you have an intermittent short in a radio antenna caused by a rowdy woodpecker.

If you want the Forum to help you conduct a troubleshooting campaign, you need to provide usable information on the exact symptoms you are experiencing, and the exact products and environment you are running.