RSLogix EDS AOP

Slowpokee

Greetings all,

I am confused on the EDS AOP for Rockwell RSLogix 5000 version 20. Since my company is not an Encompass partner, we were told we couldn't offer an AOP "premier" but and AOP "standard" which is an EDS AOP. From the documentation, I could not see any difference than the EDS I have created before using EZEDS from ODVA.

From what I have tested, it seems the RSLogix doesn't fill the tags in the input and output assemblies from the EDS where it will with the AOP application?

Am I missing something with the EDS or is that what you can offer with the AOP and not with an EDS?

Best Regards,
Mark

Hi

I
Don't think you are.

I have used devices setup both ways like cognex Ab partner and then iai not a partner and you are correct .

It made no difference as the documents from iai were very good but the tags created when using cognex were very good a quick.

For me once your doucements are good it's not to big an issue.

Donnchadh

I have attempted to use several third-party devices with the "EDS-based Module Profile" feature in RSLogix 5000 v20, but so far without success.

Are you using the RA developer document 'EDS AOP Guidelines for Logix Designer Software' as a reference (link is here) ?

In each case that I tried, the vendor's instructions for using the Generic Module object were detailed and thorough, so I just stuck with that method.

Donnchadh, thank for the info. We are currently updating all of our documentation regarding the implementation of the "generic" AOP. However, it's never as streamline as a true AOP where all the tags are imported into RSLogix.

Ken, I did read through the RA EDS AOP Guideline and realized the EDS AOP will not import the tags for the input and output automatically like the AOP applets do. The only option at this time is to use the AOI "Add On Instruction" and create some logic functions to create and link the tags.

I don't understand why Rockwell has the "popular kid" attitude. Blocking other vendors from connectivity to their products can't help their sales. Siemens however, allows any vendor easy tag importing with GSD and GSDML files. And you don't have to be a one of the "cool kids" either. :)

Logix Designer 21

Here's an update to this subject. With Designer 21, it will seamlessly import EDS files for standard class 1 servers, including the tags.
-HOWEVER-
If you have devices such as Wago I/O where the connection size depends on the I/O cards attached, the importer will not provide any connections. It appears that you would need to edit the EDS file to reflect I/O assembly.
Also, if you want to use an aggregate assembly for 1747-AENT(R) Point I/O, you'd be out of luck.