AMCI 3602 interfacing with Ultrware 3000

djpalaz

Hello,

I would like to know if anybody knows how to connect or has experiencing using an AMCI 3602 to an Ultraware 3000 for step direction control.

The wiring used is open collector wiring from the typical schematic from the AMCI manual. When I send a jog frequency, the drive receives the pulses but the motion is very jerky (not a continuous motion) as if it is not receiving all the pulses. I can see the velocity command in the ultraware software it is all over the place varying from -X RPM to XXX RPM and I also trended the velocity using the oscilloscope feature in the ultraware software and the velocity is ocillating up and down like a sine wave. The maximum frequency I can get to without faulting is 1500RPM. Problem is I need to get to the max RPM which is 3000RPM. This for a fly knife application, we want reach maximum velocity to cut through the product. We are also using a 5 to 1 gearbox. I have tried the relative move command from AMCI to try to get one revolution at a certain frequency. On two attempts with the same frequency and number of pulses. I get different results. First attempt shaft rotates at certain speed and moves one rotation at the ouput of the gear box. Next attempt shaft rotates at a faster speed which seems and sounds better but trips on A21, number of rotations is unknown since it happens so fast. Techsupport says that the wiring is not correct. Perhaps they are correct since if we added a pot on our circuit to vary the voltage at AMCI ouput and as we send a jog frequency and vary the pot the speed changes. Seems if the pulses have a diffrent amplitude the speed changes??

What is the change of the high and low signals need to be in the manual for the drive input to see a pulse is not clear.

The only parameters I have changed are the following:

Operating Mode: Follower Step/direction
Follower Gear Ratio: 1:XXXX

Another thing that seems unclear to me is how may pulses do I need to send to make one revolution. Techsupport tells me 200,000 pulses. Seems a little off. When use the relative move command pulses from AMCI the pulses was set to 16384 and the follower gear ratio in the ultrawre was set to 1:9000 therfore 16384 x 9000 = 147456000 if I divide by 5 for the gear ratio I get 29491200 which gave me approximately one revoltion at the output of the gearbox.

Would there be any parameters in the Ultraware that I have not set correctly.

I tried autotuning but makes the drive worse it doesnt even repond to the command pulses. Adjusting gains manually seems to make the motion more stable but still not a smooth motion as you would expect. We have a similar setup with a Yaskawa drives and we have no issues.

I'm looking to control the drive directly with analog signal instead my only worry if I set the operating mode to Analog position at what velocity will the motor run?

The follower gear ratio of 1:9000 is what jumps out at me. Do you really have a 1:9000 ratio between the two axes of motion ?

I would try a 1:1 ratio, and increase the number of pulses you send out from the AMCI module.

Which controller model are you using with the 1769 series stepper module; a CompactLogix, or a MicroLogix 1500 ?

I'm using a compactlogix 1769-L23E-QBFC1B, seems there is noise coming from the Ultraware 3000. Using a scope I can see a faint signal and when I stop sending pulses the motor continues to rotate. Talikng to AMCI, it seems that I should be using the 3601 which has differential outputs. I tried using the high speed counter output, the motion is more smooth but I can only get to 500HZ approx and at least it stops when comand pulses are stopped. So the maximum speed I can get to is 1500RPM. If I try increasing gear ratio I get a following error. Gains seem to have no effect or tuning the motor.

I have used a very similar setup to yours: AMCI 3102 2-axis module with a Micrologix 1100, controlling an Ultra 3000 with step/direction. I can tell you two things that I learned by trial and error:
1. Differential outputs are a must.
2. Best results are obtained with a high output frequency, i.e. approaching MHz range.

I too experienced the jerkiness of motion that you describe. I suspect that it has something to do with the speed of the control loop in the Ultra 3000. I was able to alleviate it by switching to differential wiring and upping the frequency. (The 3102 module tops out at 1 MHz in differential mode.) Unfortunately I see that the 3602 module does not offer differential outputs and has a maximum 200 kHz output frequency, so your options may be limited with your current setup.

Just for the record you need to use the 3601 card which is compatible with the Ultra 3000 drive. Old technology needs old technology to work.