Ohm's Law Problem

Timeismoney08

Who can figure out the attached circuit. I dont think there is enough info provided to find out A2, A3, V3, and V4. Let me know what you think.

What Is the Value of A2?
What Is the Value of A3?
What Is the Value of V3?
What Is the Value of V4?

problem ohms law.jpg

Who can figure out the attached circuit. I dont think there is enough info provided to find out A2, A3, V3, and V4. Let me know what you think.

What Is the Value of A2?
What Is the Value of A3?
What Is the Value of V3?
What Is the Value of V4?

To find R2 you need the total circuit Voltage, but since it;s in parallel with R3, you can not find it directly, because you don't know the voltage for V3.

So in other words,
I don't have the total Resistance or Voltage of the circuit. Ohms law is useless without 2 of the 3 factors found.

Please explain how you found your answer, If you can figure it out!
Thanks

Since V2 is 36V, V3 is also 36V (because they are in parallel)
So, A3 = 36/12 = 3 Amps
which in turn means A2 = 1 amp
So, R2 = 36/1 = 36 Ohm
V4 = V1 + V3 = 80 + 36 = 116 V

Last edited:
Alternatively,
You have all the information needed to solve for V1 immediately. Next V4 = V1 + V2. Now you have everything you need to get the rest of your homework done.

I disagree.

a1=a4=-4a
v1=22v
v4=88v
a3=-3a
a2=1a-3a
r2=36 ohm (this is correct)

Thanks everyone,
I spent allot of time on this and was at a brick wall. I' taking classes online so an instructor is not in arms reach. I didn't realize v2 in parallel with v3,made it the same voltage. that was my missing link. Thanks alot. I understand allot better.

I didn't realize v2 in parallel with v3,made it the same voltage.

If you will go back and look at the diagram, what is the difference between placing your voltmeter leads at each end of the resistor and placing your voltmeter leads at the junctions of the branch?

If you visualize the voltmeter at the junctions of the branch then you'll see that V2 and V3 are not just two different voltages that happen to be equal, they are the same voltage.

another aspect to also acknowledge is that the current entering a node is equal to the current leaving the node which is what KCL states. For KVL the total voltage that is within a closed loop must equate to zero.

Last edited:
I disagree.

a1=a4=-4a
v1=22v
v4=88v
a3=-3a
a2=1a-3a
r2=36 ohm (this is correct)
a2= 4A-3A=1A for a parallel circuit the current going is the current going out the current going in or out is 4 amps so if a3 is 3 amps then a2 is 4 amps - 3amps period

@ maxketcham, exactly. Just by looking at the circuit you should be able to tell what a4 by KCL, same deal with a2 and a3

Last edited:
RussB has a point about the current and voltage directions. Because it is a DC circuit BUT no polarity markings are shown on the Ammeters and Voltmeters, then we can only calculate the relative size of the currents and voltages (the size of the voltage and current vectors, but not the direction). I think we can assume that the ammeter and voltmeter leads are probably connected to read the same direction, and most likely will read positive values. We know that A1 reads a +4 Amps, and V2 reads a +36 volts, so most likely all the other instruments are also connected to read upscale or positive.

That 116 volt battery must be one more rare device. I don't think I have run across one of those. I guess you could use two 48 volt forklift batteries and two 12 volt car batteries all in series to get close enough (or for 4 amps, maybe six 20-volt lithium ion tool batteries in series).

Last edited: