RSLinx classic question

sparkytex

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hello every one. I have a computer to set up with RSlinx classic and rslogix5. First question is can I use my computer with RSlinx and RSlogix5 as well as an everyday computer with access to the internet as well? basically I want to use one computer to connect to the AB PLC5 Ethernet processors around the mill and also use the computer for every day purpose as well. is this possible? also when I tried to download the rslinx its asking me for a 10 digit serial number, where do I find this number? apparently it will install as rslinxlite without this serial number. thanks, Brian

If all you're doing is connecting to PLC-5 controllers using RSLogix 5, all you need is the Lite edition of RSLinx Classic, which does not require a license.

You only need a license (for which you will get a Serial Number and an Activation Code) if you want to use the OPC or DDE data collection mechanisms of RSLinx Classic.

Most downloads of RSLogix 5 (or installation DVDs) will also include RSLinx Classic Lite.

In general, RSLogix 5 is pretty straightforward to use on a general-duty computer. It doesn't require complicated stuff like the FactoryTalk Directory, and many thousands of users run it every day side-by-side with their general purpose office software.

yah basically I just need to access the PLC-5 Ethernet controllers via RSLogix5. I just want to be able to go online to trouble shoot and do some programming online when required. Our PLC network runs separately from our regular admin. network. So I'll have to switch between Ethernet cables to establish a connection to the PLC and or the Admin. network. sound about right? also I have the RSLogix5 disk here, am I going to need a license or activation code for that aswell? or can you download it as many times as you want like RSLinx? thanks for the help I greatly appreciate it!

One caveat to keep in mind. You will want not want to run RSLinx as a service. In you case it is better to start it from the launch control when you need it.

If you leave RSLinx running as a service your laptop will work fine but will never hibernate, sleep or shut down by itself until it runs out of battery or overheats.
This is ugly to discover after you close the lid, put in in your bag and leave it over the weekend. Monday you have a fried laptop.

yah that would not be good, but in my case i'm using a desktop. I have 2 laptops, one has rslinx and rslogix5000 the other has rslinx and rslogix5 on it which have all been configured in the past. I'm trying to learn how to configure rslinx to communicate to the Ethernet plc5 processors for up in my office. seen a few videos on youtube but ofcourse aren't has helpful as i'd like. any suggestion on good sites/manulas to check out to help me figure this out! thanks

Last edited:
yah basically I just need to access the PLC-5 Ethernet controllers via RSLogix5. I just want to be able to go online to trouble shoot and do some programming online when required. Our PLC network runs separately from our regular admin. network. So I'll have to switch between Ethernet cables to establish a connection to the PLC and or the Admin. network. sound about right? also I have the RSLogix5 disk here, am I going to need a license or activation code for that aswell? or can you download it as many times as you want like RSLinx? thanks for the help I greatly appreciate it!

You could install another Enet nic in your PC and address them with different IP addresses so you can connect to both.

You could install another Enet nic in your PC and address them with different IP addresses so you can connect to both.
Does this bother anyone else besides me? I cannot see how you could ever have enough security to risk an entire plant control system to the risks of possibly connecting it to the Internet. It is getting to be common, but it has to end in tragedy.

How is having two wired nic's in a computer a security problem?
How is it different than the wired & wireless ports that are present in most notebooks?

One of the best troubleshooting notebooks I have used is the Siemens PG notebook with two wired nics, plus the wifi port. One for hotels(wireless), one wired for the office and one wired for the PLC networks.

I'd like to know if adding another Ethernet network card is safe to do? we have lots of extra cards around the mill I could use. Be nice to have on card wired for internet and one card addressed to the PLC network for our plant. also I have rslinx downloaded and I cant get RSLinx to communicate with the PLC network. I chose configure driver and went with Ethernet IP then windows default, apply then closed the window. when I go to rswho I cant see then processers. Does this have something to do with the IP addressing?

Last edited:
You could pick yourself up a USB-->Ethernet adapter... I run around the field with two of them! Started using them when my laptop took a fall while plugged in and damaged the on-board NIC card port.

It's actually been really nice having them ever since my company started selling "complete" systems with AB PLCs and HMIs. Instead of having a MTB integrate our nutrunners to the PLC we're doing it ourselves and It was nice being able to talk to both systems at once.

I guess I can understand the concern about the internet situation but I don't see a problem with it due to that I'm never allowed to get on anyone's Internet while visiting plants!

Separate Enet cards would be my choice.

If you don't go with a separate E-Net card approach, in the TCP/IP properties, you can have the General tab setup for “Obtain an IP Address Automatically” (or for a hard address for your internet if that's how you currently work) and the alternate tab setup with a hard address for your PLC network.

When you are plugged into the Plant/Internet network, your PC will obtain an address like it usually does. If you plug into your PLC network, it will fail to obtain an address automatically and will then default to the hard address you entered as the alternate.

How is it different than the wired & wireless ports that are present in most notebooks?
The connection method is not that different. What is different and also critical, is the amount of risk you are taking, by allowing a path from "Mr. Anyone in the World" into your plant control system. Most plants have gates and fences to keep bad things outside. This is like cutting a hole in the fence. "Come on in, fellows, and do your worst. We don't care"!

It worked for Stuxnet in Iran, and in many other cases at power plants and other factories in the U.S. I think the question should be "what is being gained by allowing this connection, and what will be lost when someone breaks in"? Is it really worth the risk?

Last edited:
Lancie1,

How does having multiple nics in a computer provides a path for "Mr Anyone" into a plant control system? Can you give me a bit more info on this? I see it has accomplishing the opposite - allowing me to keep my plant network separate from my control network.