IP adress for compactlogix and slc 5?

dowmace

I'm having a bit of trouble getting a panelview 1000+ to communicate with the PLC. I have the IP address correct for the compactlogix (10.10.10.241) but am unsure how to set the IP in the SLC-5/05 processor. With just the IP of the compactlogix I am able to read data from the PLC but not control the program.

I've never worked with this platform and am very confused. I assigned the compactlogix IP using Bootp/dhcp but am not sure how to assign the SLC IP.
iye5.jpg

In the ControlLogix and CompactLogix controllers, the IP address is stored by the Ethernet module or the Ethernet daughtercard. It's not part of the 'PLC program'.

The most common methods of setting the IP address for a ControlLogix EtherNet/IP module or a CompactLogix are using DHCP or BOOTP, or using the RSLinx Classic software to browse to the module and select 'Module Configuration'. This also allows you to set a static IP address and to enable or disable DHCP and BOOTP.

SLC-5/05 and MicroLogix controllers store the IP address as part of the controller program itself. While they can be initially configured using BOOTP or DHCP, generally you configure the IP address in the program and then load the program into the controller over a serial port or using the Ethernet port that's been initially configured using DHCP.

Another thing that is important but not intuitive is that MicroLogix and PLC-5E and SLC-5/05 controllers appear in RSLinx Enterprise as an endpoint: the IP address is assigned to the controller object itself.

ControlLogix controllers don't have onboard EtherNet/IP ports; the Ethernet module is elsewhere in the chassis and the controller(s) can be in any slot. So the RSLinx Enterprise definition for a ControlLogix needs to show the Ethernet module, the backplane, and the CPU.

CompactLogix controllers emulate the ControlLogix model with a 'backplane object', even though the Ethernet port looks like it's built right into the controller. RSLinx Enterprise treats CompactLogix in a similar way, except that the controller is always in Slot 0. The old FlexLogix controllers worked the same way.

The new '5370' family of CompactLogix controllers is yet again a little different; RA changed the Ethernet port object so that it's more like MicroLogix and can be treated like the CPU and the Ethernet module are one and the same. They also maintain backward compatibility where you can send a message to 'Slot 0' and they will respond to it.

An example of the various direct-to-controller and backplane->Slot configurations you can have in RSLinx Enterprise.

Which configuration is right for you depends on which model of CompactLogix controller you are using.

RSLE_Examples.png