PF700s Phase II

trcash2

Has anyone used a PF700s Phase II control with a 5730 drivelogix module controlled with a MAPC command? I am having issues smoothing out the motion curve. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

To preface this response, I have not worked with PF700's with 5730 modules...

What exactly do mean by the "motion curve"?

If you mean the cam profile as seen from the MAPC command, then I think it's a matter of adding more points and watching which ones are linear or cubic. This is all programming - independent of the drive used.

If you mean the motor's ability to follow the cam profile, then I think you are into a drive tuning issue. With regular servos (kinetix), you can autotune the drive from the axis properties. When using a PF700 series drive as a CIP motion axis you cannot use the axis properties autotuning - you must manually tune the drive yourself. Note that any sort of "autotune" that you would perform from the drive would typically be insufficient for a motion application - you need to manually set the proportional and integral gains of the drive to get the desired responsiveness.

Again, I haven't done this before (but expect to be in the near future).

A "smooth" motion curve is pretty much any motion application's ultimate goal; it doesn't really matter what drive and motion controller you are using; any reputable manufacturer will do if the application is properly developed.
PF700S Phase IIs with integrated DriveLogix controllers are the precursors of the PF755 with integrated EtherNet/IP motion drives family and they were and still are quite accurate systems, especially for large HP applications.
In order to answer you question, the Forum will need a lot more information about the at hand system configuration (installed feedback, topology), a description of the intended "dynamics" and some current trending of the "rough" motion curve you are experiencing.
The PCAM motion instruction is, after all, user configurable; based of the application's requirements, the user will literally shape the "form" of the "cam" in order to generate the intended results depending of the original tuning of the drive/motor system and the expected dynamic loads.
I would personally start by tuning the drive/motor without a load (especially for a large HP system) using the lowest allowable gains and, after a stabil "no load" operation is achieved, the "load" could be attached and the system could be operated at its lowest allowable velocity; once there and properly operating, in small increments, you could be speed it up while continuously adjusting the dynamic gains and the programmed cam profile in order to generate a "smooth" system dynamic response.
This is not quite an "exact science" and "identical" systems will respond differently to identical tuning , however, if the base is "solid enough" one should be able to "fit" the application to the "theoretical" model and achieve the required results.