RSLogix 5000 PID control

broman973

So I'm having a frustrating issue with PIDs. Basically, I want a PID output (let's call it PID1) to determine the control variable range of another PID (let's call it PID2). When PID1 changes PID2's range, I want PID2 to keep its last output and continue from that point... like it does when you switch SWM from manual to auto. Also, if PID2's output is outside the range when it's changed, it should clamp and continue from there as previously mentioned. Any recommendations?

I've tried writing to PID2's MINCV/MAXCV, but it appears they can't be changed after the PID is enabled. I haven't had a chance to investigate a way to make this work. Is there a way?

I've also tried writing to MINO/MAXO, but it appears they only clamp the output without having the PID work within that new range. Didn't get a chance to fully test this. Will the PID work within the new range? And more importantly, continue from its last output if it were clamped?

Your help will be greatly appreciated! :geek:

I stumbled upon a RA white paper discussing how to use the PIDE instruction for common process loop control algorithms. Never used PIDEs... only PIDs, but it seems PIDEs have an input for control variable feedback. This allows multiple PIDEs to always be aligned with each other and "bumplessly" control a single control variable via low-select ESEL instruction(s), which is essentially what I was trying to do. If your interested, see page 8 on the following pdf URL: http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/wp/logix-wp008_-en-p.pdf

Hope this helps anyone with the same problem! Now... time to investigate working with PIDEs :eek: