URGENT, need a help from expert

alaashawwa

Hi all,
Its been a long time since the last time I visit this site.
Actually I changed my career to something close to electronics but a little bit far from PLC and Automation world.
few days ago I've got a new challenge in my new job related to automation and my manager promise me with a promotion if I find a solution for my issue:p.
the project related to garbage or trash car which is made the waste can or garbage container empty.
the car comes to the container and attached with it by two arms. those two arms hold the container and rise it up to empty all the garbage inside the car.
what I need to apply is a counter can give me how many times the car lifts a garbage container during a day or one work shift. this counter connected with a tracking device which sends the data over GPRS.
if anyone has suggestion please answer me.
I will try to attach pictures tomorrow.

You can do it under $100 with an arduino, gprs shield and some type of input to use as a counter (prox, photoeye, limit switch, etc).

How are you going to receive and record the gprs data?

Re:

Thanks for guys for sharing thoughts.
Actually I have the tracking device and its already work over GPRS, my issue is how to prepare the sensors and connect it with controller circuit or PLC,
Here is some pictures captured for the truck:

IMG_1709.jpg IMG_1712.jpg IMG_1711.jpg IMG_1715.jpg IMG_1726.jpg

I think it is very easy to solve it. As you have the tracking device already working you just need to count how many times the the car lifts a container during the day right ? So you need to know how the controller will communicate with the tracking device. After that you need to choose a controller that can communicate through the kind of network you have. After that you can use limit switches. You can mount the limit switches at many places close the axis of the arms.

look at http://www.welvaarts.com/en/home/ they make these type of systems.
On both hinges have a strain gauge device for weighing the container.
when start is pressed lift the container a little then stop lifting, weigh and continue emptying the container. Can be done with every PLC with a strain gauge input, and yes can be done with arduino (look for google weighing arduino you will need a good ADC to comply with regulations.
if only needed where a container is lifted i would keep a memory with locations and send it once a day.