Need HELP!!!! Urgent!

cdnrookie

Hey Guys and Gals

Our paint shop has a 1784 plc 5/25,
Last week we had a power outage, followed by several surges.

Of course, we got the paint shop in 2002, used..... and didnt bother to upload the program.

So now the processor is showing most red lights,

proc, rem I/O, comm all showing red

force showing yellow

Im fearing the worst here, anyone care to comment?

Im trying to see if I can locate a 1784 cable here and a copy of rslogix 5, (we ahve 500 and 5000 right now). But I think that even if I do, the program may be lost.

all the inputs that should be on are,

all outputs are out and do not react to tripping them manually.

You might call your local AB repr. he /she might help determine if in fact the program is gone in exchange for trying to talk you into an upgrade.

When the PROC, Remote I/O, and Comm LEDs are all showing solid red on a PLC-5/25, you can recover the user program with a 1985-BTTF recovery module.

If you can't get one of those, or an archive copy of the program from the OEM, it's time for a new controller and a programming project.

lol ken, that was awesome! not overly encouraging, but very funny!

The red lights definetly have me thinking im goig to be busy, but that lightened my mood!

We dont have a rslogix 5 license or the cables for it.

Most of our stuff is rs500 or 5000, this was purchased used before my time with the company

Ken Roach said:
you can recover the user program with a 1985-BTTF recovery module.

That made my day :ROFLMAO:

Perhaps if they end up with no choice but to redevelop the program they could use a MagicBox, might make the conversion process a lot more straightforward!

We dont have a rslogix 5 license or the cables for it.

Most of our stuff is rs500 or 5000, this was purchased used before my time with the company

That being the case, your best remaining options is probably to get your local RA distributor involved as Mickey suggested. If they get a sniff that they can probably sell you a new PLC, they'll probably be more than happy to come out and confirm your suspicions, without you having to spend ridiculous amounts of money on outdated software and communication cables

MNRF'sake! :cry:

42609 - PLC-5 Major Fault Clears Memory
Access Level: TechConnect

Hmm, you'd wonder why they don't give you an option to disable such a potentially catastrophic memory dump? Or instead, come up with a better way to HALT execution? In some cases it may be better to err on the side of caution, but for cases where it just doesn't matter, you should, perhaps, have a choice?

Regards,
George

Hi Cdn rookie

I'm in Ontario where are you? Maybe PM me...
We a few old laptops with PCMK cards and cables for the PLC-5 series processors.
To think of it we were cleaning the panel shop last week and found a box full of PLC-5 processors...

let me know we might be able to help

Just for curiosity, can you explain that acronym? :whistle:

Major Non-Recoverable Fault.... caused by the manufacturer to protect their processors from the dreaded novice programmer experimenting with indirect addressing for the first time :eek:

I wonder if this was the only way that Allen-Bradley could think of to get those darn bullet-proof PLC-5's to fail?

I'm sorry (a little) if my link dashed any hopes of recovery.

If it were only the PROC light that was on red, I'd be more optimistic.

But with all the others on solid red or yellow, you're looking at a catastrophic hardware failure, not a firmware or protective function.

Maybe toggling the processor key back and forth or removing the battery and cycling power might get the controller to reset, but I doubt it. The program is assuredly gone from RAM.

Do look for a 1784-MJ memory module inside, though. I think they installed on the bottom edge of the PLC-5 Classic controllers.