calculate flow rate @ 13mA

goodoboy

I am doing some studying on Flow Measurements and stuck on this problem?

A dp transmitter is calibrated 0 to 80 inH20 and transmits a 4 to 20 mA dc signal. This transmitter is placed across an orifice plate which is sized to create 80 inH20 differential at 6 gpm.

What is the flow rate when the signal is 13 mA dc?

a. 4.5 gpm
b. 3.9 gpm
c. 3.4 gpm
d. 4.9 gpm

I calculate 3.374 gpm, but answer is 4.5 gpm according to book?

Also, what will the signal be if the flow rate is 4 gpm?

Any help please.

Last edited:
I came up with the same answer that you did (actually 3.375) so clearly we don't understand the problem!?!

what will the signal be if the flow rate is 4 gpm?

I use that same formula to calculate 11.2 amps.

Thanks all for the help. I am studying the this PE exam and lots work.

Last edited:
6 GPM / 16mA (range) = 0.375 per mA
12mA (50%)x 0.375 = 4.5 gpm
But 13 = 4.875 gpm
I would think you may have to look at pressure ans orifice calculations instead

The flow rate through an orifice is proportional to the square root of the pressure differential. Flow is not linear! The transmitter is a differential pressure one, so dp is linear with mA. However, you can't forget the 20% (4 mA) zero offset when you calculate the differential pressure.

I use the formula:
Q2 = Q1 x Sqrt(dp2/dp1)

So, at 13 mA 4.5 gpm is the right answer. At 4 gpm you should get 11.11 mA.

Try it again, show your work, and if you can't get it I'll show my work.

Last edited:
:site:
The flow rate through an orifice is proportional to the square root of the pressure differential. Flow is not linear! The transmitter is a differential pressure one, so dp is linear with mA. However, you can't forget the 20% (4 mA) zero offset when you calculate the differential pressure.

I use the formula:

Q2 = Q1 x Sqrt(dp2/dp1)

So, 4.5 gpm is the right answer. At 4 gpm you should get 11.11 mA.

At 13 mA

I am doing some studying on Flow Measurements and stuck on this problem?

A dp transmitter is calibrated 0 to 80 inH20 and transmits a 4 to 20 mA dc signal. This transmitter is placed across an orifice plate which is sized to create 80 inH20 differential at 6 gpm.

What is the flow rate when the signal is 13 mA dc?

a. 4.5 gpm
b. 3.9 gpm
c. 3.4 gpm
d. 4.9 gpm

I calculate 3.374 gpm, but answer is 4.5 gpm according to book?

Also, what will the signal be if the flow rate is 4 gpm?

Any help please.

The answer is A. Don't forget that Differential Pressure Flow is a Square-Root Function.

4 GPM should be around 11.11 mA.

I use the formula:
Q2 = Q1 x Sqrt(dp2/dp1)

So, at 13 mA 4.5 gpm is the right answer. At 4 gpm you should get 11.11 mA.

Thanks

what is the specific gravity of water flowing at 60F?