Ethernet Modules

Oneslyfox

Hi All,

I'm trying to connect to the drive unit on a linear slide. I've registered the EDS file, it show's up in the "Who's Active" network tree, I'm adding the module until the Ethernet branch of my IO configuration, but when I try to create the module I get:

"Failed to create new module.

Could not create a bus because the port type is unknown."

I've tried to Google this message, but nothing comes up. Any ideas? I'm running RSLogix 5000 v20, but I have not yet made a connecting to my CompactLogix L35E as I'm waiting on a firmware update (it's still running v17 (or if you know how to add an EDS generated module in version 17, that would help too)).

An EDS file is for recognition while communicating. To add an item to the I/O list the unit must have a valid profile (look for an 'Add-On Profile'). If a profile is not available then you must create a Generic Ethernet Module. The drive unit documentation should have information.

Where is "Add On Profile"?

I right click on the Ethernet port on the PLC in the I/O Configuration folder, click new module, find the module in the list, click create, give it a name and an IP address, then OK and it gives me the error mentioned in the original post.

RSLogix 5000 v20 introduced a feature called "EDS-based Add-On Profiles", which attempts to use the Electronic Data Sheet file to make a new type of I/O connection that's halfway between the Generic Ethernet Module and the original Add-On Profile.

Unfortunately, most third-party EtherNet/IP modules do not have the necessary details in their EDS file to make this feature work.

The solution in every case I have seen here on the Forum (and used in my shop) has been to use the older Generic Ethernet Module object.

Your linear drive unit (what make and model ?) should have a configuration example that uses the Generic Ethernet Module.