Controllogix, Versa View, and the Kep server.

Bitmore

Automation Alley, Oakland County, Michigan
Hello all, just a cheap old cheat note.
I ran into the same problem most of us have seen, that field device talks Modbus RTU and I need more data, but I have an Allen Bradley Controllogix PLC. I don't have the money to buy an expensive interface module. Alas all is not lost with the Kep server widely available and my AB HMI. That is, you may use other type HMI's as long as they have the same type of serial server capabilities.
No special hardware modules needed for the protocol conversion, set up a timer bit to envoke a MACRO on the HMI, the KEP server querries the device, and tags are updated! SWEET! Just some basic signal conversion hardware (29.95)!

just a....
bitmore

Last edited:
I'm just curious.

How much a converter module would cost to justify the price of two KEPWare drivers (something around $800 list each)? Add to it the price of a modestly-fit PC (not everyone has an old one to use). And should not forget the above mentioned $29.95 for the hardware.

Seriously, is that coverter made of pure gold?