SLC5/03 & CompactLogix DF1 Serial

Aviator|Chris

Hi all,

I've trawled the search for hours, but couldn't find a definitive answer on this.

We have 3 x SLC5/03 processor configured as DF1 Half Duplex Slave (Nodes 3,4 and 5).

I have a CompactLogix L32E processor, that I need to use as the DF1 Half Duplex Master to read/write to these processors.

Can anybody help me using an L32E to read/write an SLC5/03?

There are some RS232 Serial radios in between these PLC's, which have been tested using DF1 Slave SLC5/03 to a DF1 Master SLC5/03 and working OK, but the real master is L32E and I can't ascertain how to set this processor up in regards to messaging using Channel 0.

Thanks. (y)

If you can post both the SLC and CompactLogix programs, I could take a quick look at them.

The first question is always: "Are you using Poll-List or Message-based communications ?"

The CompactLogix can definitely act as a DF1 Master to SLC-family DF1 Slaves.

But there is not, as far as I know, a button-by-button conversion guide for every port setting and configuration option.

Hi Ken,

Its Message Based.

Can I use a traditional MSG instruction to do this? I am not confident about setting up the MSG instruction to reach the Serial Node.

I know that CIP path 2,1 is for the Serial Port? But i'm not even sure if I can use CIP in this manner.

As you can tell, Logix5000 and RS232/DF1 hasn't crossed my path much!

If you can help me using this that would be great, I can attach the files shortly.

Cheers.

http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/um/1769-um011_-en-p.pdf

Chapter 4 Page 61 for DF1 Radio Modem networking topology and CPU RS232 Port configuration; depending of the legacy CPUs' age, you might be able to use the "modern" DF1 Radio Modem protocol CompactLogix driver; if not, you will need to use the DF1 Point-to-Point or DF1 Half-Duplex protocol (see page 57 of Chapter 4).
Once the networking is up and running, I'd suggest to implement the MSG ladder logic within the RSL5K application.
Refer to:

http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/pm/1756-pm012_-en-p.pdf

You do use the CIP Path to direct the message out the serial port.

CIP Paths are always pairs of numbers: "Port, Address".

Port 2 is the RS-232 port on the CompactLogix, so the next digit is the DF1 target address; you mentioned Nodes 3, 4, and 5.

So make the Path "2, 3" to send a message to DF1 node number 3.

Hi Ken,

Thanks! Will try this tomorrow.

From today's testing...

I have my laptop connected on Ethernet to the L32E, and looking on RSLinx I can see / open the L32E DF1 Channel, and the L32E node address, but it doesn't see the other nodes.

Is this highlighting a configuration issue on the L32E Chan 0 / DF1 or is that just the way it is on DF1 from L32E to SLC5/03? I think the former?

Cheers.

I'm not sure how browsing via RSLinx works with DF1 Slaves and Message-based configurations.

RSLinx Classic might get to the serial port and just start sending 'Identity Request' packets to all the possible node numbers on the DF1 serial network. Or it might do nothing, since the DF1 channel is configured not to send any data out unless you write a MSG instruction.

I configured a test application with a 1756-L61/A with firmware 19.11 and the serial port set for "DF1 Master, Slaves can initiate Messages".

RSLinx Classic does attempt to browse the DF1 network when you "drill down" to the Channel 0 serial port. You should see the RS-232 LED on the controller flashing every few seconds as it transmits a DF1 "List Identity" request.

When I actually captured that data, though, it looks like it's continuously polling for Node 1 only. That would explain why you don't see the Nodes 2,3,4 out there on the network.

I'm not sure how to change these browsing settings so you can see the remote DF1 nodes in RSLinx Classic. You may have to experiment a little.

I noticed if you right click the DF1 Channel in RSLinx you can adjust the polling range by ticking the box in the Properties menu?

I saw earlier that it attempted to browse the nodes 1 to 10 as set but still nothing.

I tried the same thing but didn't see any change in the addresses that were actually going out on the wire. So I'm not sure how that's going to work.

Are you planning on having RSLinx or some other HMI directly acquire data from these SLCs ? Are you planning to go online with those SLC controllers through this path ?

I'm wondering what utility this RSLinx browse is going to have, other than verifying the presence of the remote devices.

No purpose other than for diagnostics!

Got too comfortable with L5K devices will full CIP browsing awesomeness!

On site (final solution as this rig is for FAT) is an existing SLC5/04 as master and 3 x SLC5/03 on Scraper Gantrys for 3 x Storm Tanks.

The radio kit is the bulk of our work for the customer, but I / they wanted to conduct FAT as close to site as practicable using kit we have or have borrowed.

Will let you know how I get on tomorrow!

Cheers.

After a little more experimenting with RSLinx Classic, I found that if I specified the minimum and maximum node numbers and (on the next tab) specified that the network type was forced to be a DF1 (Master or Slave), then the serial port started browsing the node numbers I specified, and I was able to see a not-node-1 controller connected over DF1 half duplex.

For serial protocol troubleshooting, the very best tool is Frontline Test Equipment's NetDecoder or SerialTest. But a more cost-effective tool, which I used (and did the protocol decoding by hand) for this quick test, is Stratus Engineering's EZ-Tap.

I reallly can't say enough good things about that device. For the money, it's the very best value in getting your eyes on serial data between devices.