CompactLogix and SLC5 handshake Module

yef

Hello Folks:
I am working on the project need the handshake signals between two machines

One machine has compactlogix Processor, and the other machine has SLC5/05 Processor.

I don't know what module I can use to do the signal handshake between each other using MSG function.

Any recommendations?

Sincerely

Hi Yef,

When you say "handshake", do you mean you want to connect them together so they can pass MSG back and forth between them?

Which compactlogix plc are you using?

Hi Yef,

When you say "handshake", do you mean you want to connect them together so they can pass MSG back and forth between them?

Which compactlogix plc are you using?

The Compactlogix processor is 1769. The SLC is SLC5/05
Yes, I need to connect both machine together so they can pass MSG Back and forth

It's a little unclear exactly what part of the exercise you need help with. Here's a brief hit list of the steps to setting this up; if you can narrow it down to which step you need help with you'll probably get some more useful answers :)

I'm going to assume you wish to use Ethernet, seeing as both processors have Ethernet onboard (well, the SLC5/05 does, and almost all Compact Logix processors do)
- Set communication settings in both controllers. They must have different IP addresses, but on the same subnet
- Physically connect the two CPU's together via an ethernet switch
- Connect your laptop to the same switch, with another different IP address but on the same subnet, and ensure you can ping both PLC's
- Set up your MSG instructions however desired (in your case it will be easiest to have the CompactLogix do all of the reading and writing but there are other ways with benefits and drawbacks to each)
- Set up a heartbeat or handshake to ensure communications validity
- Set up data transfer for the rest of your desired communications
- Celebrate and drink beer 🍻

It's a little unclear exactly what part of the exercise you need help with. Here's a brief hit list of the steps to setting this up; if you can narrow it down to which step you need help with you'll probably get some more useful answers :)

I'm going to assume you wish to use Ethernet, seeing as both processors have Ethernet onboard (well, the SLC5/05 does, and almost all Compact Logix processors do)
- Set communication settings in both controllers. They must have different IP addresses, but on the same subnet
- Connect your laptop to the same switch, with another different IP address but on the same subnet, and ensure you can ping both PLC's
- Set up your MSG instructions however desired (in your case it will be easiest to have the CompactLogix do all of the reading and writing but there are other ways with benefits and drawbacks to each)

Probably the question wasn't clear, Let me make it clear a bit.
So far, I have been working on small robot and rolling conveyor system intergrated them into customer original machine cell. But customer refuse to upgrade their CPU processor from compact logix and SLC 5 to control logix.
So, I gonna work on their old stuff. they had two machines cell, the one we added small robot and rolling conveyor in had compact 1769 processor, the other machine had SLC5/05. I need some signals from the machine had SLC5/05 to tell my conveyor to sync the speed of the cell and my robot to load and unload parts at the right time. So I need a communication module can be installed in the compact logix rack to talk to the SLC5 back and forth to get and write the signals.

However, We I setup the control logic 1756, I always use a DH+ module 1756-DHRIO to get and write signals.

Therefore, ALL I want to know is what kinds of communication module I can use to add into the compact logix rack to establish the connection two CPU.

Above, It really sounds like Ethernet card would do it prefect, However, I do worry about the Ethernet communication because of its unsteadiness.

So, I wonder if you have another communication protocol device I could use to get and write data between two CPU?

Sincerely

Two machines had a little bit distance between each other, I would machine 1 got at least 200 meters away from machine two. Is the Ethernet still good for handling the signal?

Ethernet is far superior to DH+, and what's more, DH+ is going to be very, very hard to support and get parts for before long. I would absolutely be going with Ethernet. If it's set up correctly, ethernet is extremely steady and reliable.

The distance is a concern, but there are ways around it. You could use a fibreoptic adaptor at each end and have the long distance run as fibre, or you could utilise existing network architecture if it's available, or else you could just split the run up into at least two sections with an ethernet switch at each junction.

Do both of your PLC's have ethernet onboard? I know the SLC5/05 does, and I've only ever seen one CompactLogix that didn't have ethernet onboard - but maybe yours is the second!