compact logix/control logix

The Selection Guide is a great start.

ControlLogix and CompactLogix are the two main branches of the Rockwell Automation Logix 5000 programmable controller family.

ControlLogix is the big system and process controller. It uses a Bulletin 1756 chassis, into which CPU and network and I/O modules are placed. The controller typically has only a USB or RS-232 port, and network modules are added to the system chassis.

CompactLogix is the smaller machine-level controller. It uses a "snap-on" expansion I/O bus, rather than a chassis. There are several different models with different network options.

Both controller families use the RSLogix 5000 editing software. There are several different editions of this software that support various languages and features, but the Relay Ladder Logic language is by far the most popular and widely used.

There's an older Rockwell Automation product family called "MicroLogix". Don't be confused by the similar name; MicroLogix controllers are small members of the SLC-500 product line and don't use the same instruction set and editor as CompactLogix and ControlLogix.