RSLogix5000: Writing Tag Values in CSV file and importing

tomizzo11

Hello,

I'm currently writing a program that is meant to write values to a specific set of tags. However, when I have a .csv file containing tags, I don't see the option to pre-assign values to the tagsbefore I import them into my program.

Is there any way around this or am I missing something?

you have to use the upload download tool and have a full version of RSlinx. Does not work with Lite version.

You require two different functions.

1 - CSV file, this creates the text file for tag references and descriptions. This does NOT contain any value field.

2 - Upload/Downlaod using OPC. Once you have tags created in your processor, you can call a second function to write data to the tags. This requires an OPC server, as someone else pointed out RSLinx Lite will not work for this.

Read the RSLinx manual, there are VBA examples of how to read/write data to a PLC.

cwal61 was referring to a free utility called the Tag Upload / Download Utility.

It's generally installed along with RSLogix 5000, and on my computer it's accessed via Start -> Programs -> Rockwell Software -> RSLogix 5000 Tools -> Tag Upload Download Tool.

I'm still not completely clear on what you're doing; "importing" a tag generally means that you are creating it in the RSLogix 5000 tag database for the first time, rather than writing a value to an existing tag over a network connection.

When you use the Tag Import feature, you're defining the tags only; you provide their scope, their names, their datatypes, and their descriptions. As you have seen, defining a tag does not include a value for that tag.