PLC5 20 Question

Mark Buskell

A customer has a 520 and I am upgrading the system. This is a batching system measuring ingredients though valves and scales. I was proposing custom software (Visual Basic interface). What the customer would like for me to use is a remote computer with RSView and RSBatch. We would connect the 520 through a ENI module and RSLinx.
They would like it all automated through the desktop computer. They would also like the batch recipes to be stored in Microsoft Access.
and each batch to be logged back into Access. My questions are:

Does RSLinx come with RSView?
Do I need RSLinx Lite or Pro?
For the Access database, does RSView or RSBatch support Access?
I came across a program called RSRecipe, maybe I should use this instead of RSBatch?
I have worked a little with RSView but not with RSBAtch or RSRecipe.
Are these programs hard to learn?
Are there some other options I should propose instead?

Like I said above, I would prefer writing my own HMI interface using VB and Automated Solutions as the interface. There are somewhat leary of custom software. What if I killed, out of business, blah, blah. There are also interested in my company doing these changes in other plants that they own.

I will call Allen-Bradley towmorrow and pick their brains but I though someone here could give me some heads up.

Does RSLinx come with RSView?
Do I need RSLinx Lite or Pro?
You need to order it as a bundle - normally sold with RSLinx OEM version.
For the Access database, does RSView or RSBatch support Access?
I came across a program called RSRecipe, maybe I should use this instead of RSBatch?
I have worked a little with RSView but not with RSBAtch or RSRecipe.
Are these programs hard to learn?
Are there some other options I should propose instead?
Both will support MSAccess. Note that with RSView you can manipulate databases using the included VBA. Unless you're a SP88 guru, avoid RSBatch - it will really mess up your mind. RSRecipe is normally included with RSView but is too rigid to be useful for many applications (actually ICOM's old WinRecipe with a new name). RSView also has its own recipe functions that were carried over from its predecessor, ControlView - very basic, but perhaps sufficient for your needs.
What the customer would like for me to use is a remote computer with RSView and RSBatch.
If you end up with this combo, allow plenty of time for your learning curve. Has the customer used RSBatch before?