Get outputsignals on the LED...

soder

... but there's no current from the contacts.

I'm using a NAiS FP Sigma (FP C28) and trying to send output pulses to a Panasonic MSDA (to operate a servo-motor). I've checked all the connections and manuals and I'm pretty sure the connections are correct. Although, when the uploaded program runs and is supposed to send pulses, there's no pulses going to the motor - even though the LED indicates everytime a pulse should be sent... Does anybody have a clue what could be wrong?

Many thanks,

//Andreas

Try to disconnect the wiring from the terminals, and then measure the voltage again. How fast are the impulses ? Maybe you need an oscilloscope to catch them.

we have already tried that, using an oscilloscope but either there's no signal or the signal is extremely low cause all we caught on the oscilloscope was something that we thought was noise.
Does anybody know how strong the voltage should be on signals like this? If we are connecting 24VDC to the PLC we're supposed to use a 2K (ohm) resistor and if we're using 12VDC the resistor should be on 1K.

//Andreas

Strange that they dont have links to all their CPU's.

The Manuals page doesnt mention a C28 P2. Maybe you have some literature that tells you exactly what kind of PLC outputs you have, and how to wire them.
Notice that the listed C32 Sigma models have NPN outputs.

OK, it has PNP outputs.

You have to provide 12VDC or 24VDC on the "common supply" terminal. And you must probably provide ground potential on a "common ground" terminal.
You should then get the desired voltage out from the terminals.
(Granted, it does seem fairly simple). You should be able to sense the output between the terminal and ground.

I dont know where you have to put a resistor, is that a shunt on the oscilloscope probes ?

And the "... but there's no current from the contacts" worries me. If you have put a regular meter on the output and set it to "Current", then maybe you have burnt the outputs.

Resistor?...

soder said:
If we are connecting 24VDC to the PLC we're supposed to use a 2K (ohm) resistor and if we're using 12VDC the resistor should be on 1K.

Where are you supposed to be putting this resistor? The PLC has plain old PNP outputs. They require 24V to operate, but you can switch a lower voltage if needed. That will not require a resistor though. Are you talking about the input to the MSDA perhaps?

Here's a typical NAIS PNP output wiring diagram:

[attachment]

Perhaps you can attach a picture or diagram of how you have it wired?

beerchug

-Eric

aromat.jpg

You snuck in while I was typing Jesper... :D

Looks like you have the same 'concerns' as me regarding that resistor, huh?... utoh

beerchug

-Eric

Yes Eric, the resistors have to be there because of the MSDA whos extremely sensitive apperantly.

I'm attaching a wiring diagram

//Andreas

connection between fp-s and msda.jpg

This picture shows our PLC when we run the program - the LED is lit (the green dot on the right representing Y1) when the program should send a pulse but there's no signal from the Y1-pin where the pulse is supposed to come. No signal either on + and - (also marked on the picture).

//Andreas

close up on fp-sigma.jpg

OK, your first diagram shows what looks to me like an NPN output, and the "T" suffix designates NPN. You said you were using a "P" controller (PNP Output), so now I'm really confused. Your outputs may simply be switching the wrong side of the supply... :confused:

Have a look at Terry's PNP/NPN explanation at Ron's site HERE to confirm your wiring's correct.

I see nobody caught my screwup. My picture showed NPN outputs... 🙃

Here's what I MEANT to attach:

[attachment]

beerchug

-Eric

aromat.jpg